Pics of Yellow-Eyed Ensatinas (and my Roughy)

D

david

Think I finally got the pictures to work...

(Message edited by abiyoyo on January 25, 2006)

52632.jpg

Note: The roughskin newt looks smaller only because it is in the background a bit...it is actually a bit bigger than the ensatina whose color mimics it for protection.

P.S. Of course I have them in different habitats.

Update:
Now that I've had the ensatinas for a couple weeks, boy I gotta tell you, it sure is more fun keeping newts over sallies. You need night-vision goggles to ever see these ensatinas (same would apply for arboreals), for that's the only time they ever come out is in the nocturne. Invisible pets, that's what these are...these pics you see above, that's the only time these guys've ever even seen the light of day...

Actually after they become habituated a lot of Enatina and Aneides become quite active at dawn and dusk. I see mine a lot.

(Message edited by Rust on January 30, 2006)

Thanks, Russ. Gives me hope. For awhile there I thought I might as well be keeping caecilians or a burrowing lizard.
I'll keep checking on them during that time.

Interesting. Something I didn't expect about these ensatinas. Now that I've watched their behavior more, I must say they are a lot more lethargic than I expected--moreso than, say, arboreal salamanders which I've also observed.

My ensatinas are most active when the temperature is in the mid 50's to lower 60's. They become very lethargic above 68 and below 45.

wow, i have forgotten how beautiful yellow eyed ensatina are! i used to catch them as a kid all the time when i lived in the bay area. im thinking about getting a group of them next year. we'll see. nice albino lugie russ!

This is just a question from an east coaster. Is it legal to sell ensatinas? They are one of my dream salamanders, for me they are one of the pinnacles of North American amphibs. Just wondering, Alex.

I have since found one more, this time male (the two pics here are females), and this male is more pale and the eyes are darker, so it might be a different subspecies--perhaps a monterey ensatina?

Yes, they are beautiful, I agree.
However, I still haven't seen them eat. They never come out, except the wee hours of the morning, and even then they move sloooooowly. I currently have them outside, for a cooler temp, but inside or out, they are very, very slow--not like Arboreals.
The crickets I put in disappear, but for all I know, aliens might be abducting them.

(Message edited by todas_abiyoyo on March 13, 2006)

They can vary in color or shade within the same subspecies. They can also change color and shade, sometimes quite dramatically. I've seen this in all the subspecies except klauberi.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back