The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 15th November 2009   #1
Astarin

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Astarin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Climbing Viv

Hello!, I recently made a Vivarium, specifically designed for frogs, with a high back wall and plant pots built into it.... However, it's housing fire salamanders now, I didn't think this would be a problem at all until this morning, I found the salamanders had climbed right to the top back of the tank. Its at least 50cm tall and steep at the back.

I thought the salamanders were rather clumsy climbers and couldn't believe to see them up there this morning, they seemed happy roaming around the bottom at night.

I'm quite afraid they might fall now, and was wondering if I should keep them in a different enclosure, I do have a few other tanks around to create a more simple habitat for them. ShouldI though? or are they better climbers than I am thinking.

Thanks
Astarin

Astarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009   #2
dipsydoodle

Nationality:
Rep: dipsydoodle has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Climbing Viv

Just make sure your tank has a tight fitting lid.

dipsydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009   #3
Astarin

Nationality:

Ok there was a big hole in the back of the tank but it was sealed up a long time ago when I first set up the tank, so they wont be able to get out

Old 15th November 2009   #4
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I would make a new enclosure just for them.
Tanks suited for dendrobatids are based on a kind of landscape that is nothing like the world of a Salamandra (wont all the plants die at the temps that Salamandra need?). Plus, housing them where dendrobates formerly lived sounds awfully risky to me...
They are sturdy animals, and i dont think the fall is a high risk, but id still move them to a tank made for them.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009   #5
Astarin

Nationality:

Yeah it was a long time ago when the frogs were there and I had the tank running without frogs for a good few months, (was planning on more frogs) but there wasnt any of the ones I wanted at local shops and was waiting. I've moved the salamanders to a temporary home right now.

My brother just bought a massive exo terra tank so I will probably convert that for the salamanders