Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

eye half red half normal

dane_zu

Reaction score
my T. Grans eyes are half red and half normal

the nitrates and nitrites are all fine and the ph is around alkaline-neutral(closer to alkaline)

he isnt lethargic and he just ate a big ole worm 2 days ago

I cant get a good picture of him because my brothers camera is brocken, but here is one i took with my mom's

the second one is how his eye looked about a year ago

Attachments

• CIMG6242.JPG
    CIMG6242.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 698
  • CIMG1490.JPG
    CIMG1490.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 864

dane_zu

Reaction score
i forgot to ask what is it? is it normal? heres a better pic it kindof looks like blood maybe...

Attachments

• CIMG6244.JPG
    CIMG6244.JPG
    283.5 KB · Views: 753
  • CIMG6245.JPG
    CIMG6245.JPG
    272.5 KB · Views: 711

rigsby

Reaction score
Wish i could help Dane but in thirty years of newt keeping it something i've never seen, i wonder if its burst blood vessels like you get in humans, could he have been trapped at any time in the tank under a rock or something, maybe whilst hunting for food. If he's acting normal i would just keep a close eye on it and wait to see if it clears up.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Is it bilateral? I can't say either. It's really weird. I've never seen anything like it.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I suppose that rules out any trauma or anything. That's so weird. Is your newt getting enough sleep? lol

Ed

Reaction score
It shouldn't be a long lasting problem and should clear up.

Do you have more than one in the tank? Are you sure its a male?

Ed

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone any idea what it might be if it's no trauma? I have never seen anything like it and would also have thought that it was a physical injury that damaged blood vessels.

lilsoul

Reaction score
my t. gran had the same thing about a week ago I dont know what it is but she is fine and now its gone so I would't worry about

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How bizarre. May I post one of your photos on Caudata Culture, Dane?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1