My Axie appears to be blind in one eye??

Charlottekay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im very concerned about my Axie. I came home from work to find her with one white eye (she has always had dark eyes),She is perfectly fine in every other way and seems happy. It looks like its the pupil part of the eye that has gone white, the reason I think she is blind is because my boyfriends dog went blind and it looked exactly the same.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this has happened.
I would really appreciate your help.
Thank you
(There are no other Axies in the tank)

Sounds like cateracts maybe??? (sorry if I spelt that wrong)

Does it happen that quickly?

Do you think I should take her to the vets??

I have no idea!!! However, I do think a vet would help with this one. If your axie is still doing ok, I wouldn't worry too much.

Maybe someone else knows better than me!

hey, this has happened to several of my axies over the years, and in about a week it clears up
no worries,
i think it must have to do with the shedding of their slime coat, and some can remain on the pupil
-danny

Hi Charlotte,

As Cloudy eyes in axolotls can have many causes including water quality issues, shedding problem, infection, injury and deficiency in the diet (an extract from this article in the caudata culture section).

Could you advise on your water parameters (Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate/pH and Temperature) and give a run down on your tank setup (tank size/water volume/substrate/filter type)?

What does the axolotl's diet consist of?

These details will give us something to work with if the cause is of a 'sinister' nature :happy:.

While you should follow Jacq's advice, I will offer my $0.02. I've had this happen a few times, and like Danny says, it often clears up on its own (providing it's not any of the causes Jacq has suggested). I don't think it has to do with shedding, but I'm not sure what causes it.

Cataracts in fish and amphibians are not as common as in humans/domestic animals.
Even though they can appear overnight and spread over the lens in just a matter of days, it's unlikely that this is her case.
They would also be developing in both eyes, however to be on the safe side, do you have any bright lights in the room the tank is kept? Or exposure to large amounts of sun?

More than likely, Jacq's theory is right and you should test your water for ammonia/nitrate/nitrite.

Hi Charlotte. This once happened to one of my axies, and it was actually fungus, which I then treated succesfully with salt baths. Can you check your axie just in case you find any other cottonwool like white patches ? However, that's just one suggestion, it could be any of the above. Good luck with whatever it is

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back