Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My first axolotl!

Ebil

Reaction score
I have been researching about axolotls for about half a year now and absolutely love them. Three days ago, by fluke chance my pet store got a bunch and I couldn't resist getting one! I have him in a 10 gallon (which WILL be upsized as soon as possible) with a air filter turned very low and smooth rocks much bigger than his mouth at the bottom. He's about 3 inches long so he still has lots more growing to do! The petstore I got him at wasn't properly pepared for them and had about 20 axolotls in one big tank. They changed the water 3 times a day to keep it somewhat cool and they just threw in frozen bloodworms for them. I chose him cause he was floating at the top and wouldn't respond to anyone but me so I guess it was ment to be.
He's now happily exploring the bottom of his new home, with the correct water temp and food appearing infront of his nose every day. :p
My only problem is that he has white stringy/cottony stuff hanging off the back of his legs.. I think its fungus so I've done a mild salt bath (a little less salt than whats called for, he is just a baby) and been keeping a close eye on him. He's eatting well, and yesterday he had a nice healthy poo.
Sorry for being so talkitive but I really could use some tips and ideas on how to keep him really happy.
Thanks!
Ebil

tonimeloni

Reaction score
thats awesome to hear you got your first axolotl i just got my first one a couple of weeks ago her name is rosie it would be cool if you could put a picture up so everyone could see your tank :D

:ufo:

Ebil

Reaction score
I haven't figured out a name for mine yet, such a unique personality! As soon as my camera stops being all ticked at me and works properly I'm going to!!

Ebil

Reaction score
I've been giving Spook (his new name) salt baths for the past week and some of the fungus is going away but its now spreading to his underside, any help would be really appreciated!!

melfly

Reaction score
Are you doin 2 per day sread evenly. Ie 8 am then 8 pm? If not you need to do this. You need to get on top of the fungus it will kill. Mel

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Would you be able to post a photo of your poorly axolotl, just to comfirm we are dealing with a fungul infection.

Ebil

Reaction score
I've only been giving him one salt bath a day, due to the fact I'm always asleep during one time. >.< Its white cottony stuff hanging off him, so I think its fungus. Unfortunately my camera hates me for some reason and won't take a decent photo of him.

melfly

Reaction score
Does it look fuzzy. If your sure its fungus up the baths to two per day. You could do it at 12 noon then before bed. Just as long as there is a good few hours inbetween. Its for maximum benefit really. Also leave him in for ten mins at a time. No longer than 15. If it is fungus it can grow really quick. Best to try and sort it as soon as you can. Also keep the tank water clean and cool and make sure he is seperate from any others. Mel

Ebil

Reaction score
Yeah its like like someone put mini cotton balls on him. I've been doing the salt baths, cleaning out any poo I see the second I notice it, changing some water every day with water of the same temp. He is an only axolotl, he seemed to be the "runt" of all the axolotls at the pet store, thats why I got him. He's already grown some and eating like a little pig.

melfly

Reaction score
Its good he's still eating. Definately up the baths and see how he goes. Fungus is easily treated if you catch it early enough. I lost a baby a few weeks back to stubborn fungus so i know you must be worried. But i have also cured 3 or 4 using salt baths and fridging. I hope he gets better soon. Mel

Ebil

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the help! I'll start with the second salt bath tonight!

Ebil

Reaction score
I have almost finished the fight with the fungus, now Spook is extreamly happy and continues to eat like a little pig. :pHe has now doubled in size and has me wrapped around his little finger. Since he seemed to be settling down my mom decided that I could get another axolotl. Him and Spook completely ignore eachother (a good sign!) and he eats really well. My only question is he seems to like to float a lot. He has no trouble getting down to the bottom or staying down, he just likes to float. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Attachments

• 1002262313000.jpg
    1002262313000.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 400
  • 1002262314000.jpg
    1002262314000.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 391
  • 1002262315000.jpg
    1002262315000.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 360

melfly

Reaction score
Hi, you should have quarantined the new one for 30 days before putting them together. Has the fungus completely gone if not they need to be seperate. Do you know what substrate the other one was kept on? Mel 7

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Are there any areas in your tank that the axolotls can hide in? It's pretty important than have these areas to avoid light and reduce stress.

melfly

Reaction score
And. Those pebbles will need to go at some point. They will be swallowed when they get bigger. Mel

digger

Reaction score
Hi, was just reading your thread about fungus and new axie.
As was said before you really should have quarantined new axie espescially if the fungus on spook is not totally clear and you do not know what caused it. i would advize you keep a close eye on things. I f you have any more problems fridging your axie will help reduce their stress and enable them to recover more quickly.
The ideal amount of salt baths is three aday for optimum effect amd each bath should be done in clean water that is same temp as the water they are kept in, this is why it is easier to fridge them during treatment as you can keep clean dechlorinated water in the fridge to use for baths and water changes.As long as they are in a container with enough water to cover their backs and the container is covered they will be fine and recover sooner.
Also your tank looks a bit bare, as axies dont have eyelids they are sensitive to light and will become stressed if they are unable to hide away every know and again. I dont wish to sound like im preaching but I know when I got my first i was grateful for all input.
A few plants will give some cover and also give them something to hang out on when they floating and therefore reduce their stress, most axies float when they need to pooh but prolonged floating will stress them so tall aquatic plants are ideal. I have a piece of slate on top of a couple of big rocks for mine to hide under when they want to get away from it all lol and tall plants so they can hang out.
I hope this has been of some help and dont take offence at the advice.
good luck with it all.

Ebil

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys! I do not have the light on very long because usually the light from my fish tank often provides enough light, I turned it on for the sake of them being seen in the photo. I have been searching for things to put into my tank for them to hide in and play on but the pet stores around here only have things that are either too small or have really sharp edges.
The newest axolotl had fungus on him as well, the pet store was not taking good care of them. But his seemed to clear up quickly, I have been keeping an extreamly close eye for anything on him or Spook but nothing as of yet. I'm sorry for not separating them but they did come from the same pet store(same tank and all). The pet store had very lazily taken out the rocks in their tank but left A LOT still in the tank.
Its really weird because he can get to the bottom of the tank and stay there.
The stones I have in the tank are very big, but the second I see Spook is bigger and could possibly swallow them I'm gonna take them out. I knew this when I put them in. No worries. :D
Again, thanks for all the advice!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!