Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma Andersoni

axelotomudpupi

Reaction score
Thanks Papa John for the awesome caudata! They are doing great. Excellent specimins. Pleasure doing business with you!!:D

Attachments

• P1060022.jpg
    P1060022.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 530

tomkeogh

Reaction score
hey, they are a great colour, is that the typical colour? There gills look different to Axolotl, do they morph?

axelotomudpupi

Reaction score
Yes, they have a nice colour and pattern, thanks. I believe they do not morph but Beefsteak is the expert and some of his are about a foot long:rolleyes:

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
The metamorphose more often than axolotls do. It is not normal for them to metamorphose. Most of the ones that I've heard of switching to land seem to have been caused by water quality issues. It seems like watching water quality, never overfeeding, and keeping them cool will keep them in the water.

Bobillion

Reaction score
Hey, a question about the water quality thing. I made the big dumb newbie mistake of buying a tank at the same time, so it's going to cycle with him in it. I'm watching the water quality daily and so far there have been no spikes, but if he's in there at the same time is there a higher chance of him metamorphing? What about things like water hardness and pH? I'm in the somewhat strange position of having soft but slightly alkaline water (7.9). What would cause this? Should I try to lower the pH while hardening the water, or what? Gah, I don't want him metamorphing. They are somewhat more stressful than axolotls!

michael

Reaction score
They prefer hard water. I add about 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per ten gallons of water. i don't think they will metamorphose when they are small.

michael

Reaction score
I just watch the ammonia and don't check the Ph. That is not saying that will work for your location. I really don't think they have a big chance of metamorphosing. I feed my juveniles once a day with blackworms and or salmon pellets. I feed my adults twice a week with salmon pellets and occasionally earthworms or blackworms. They are pretty much as easy to keep as axolotls.

electronfusion

Reaction score
assuming they need the same as axolotls, pH between 6 and 8 is just fine.

it seems like the chemicals for changing ph are too much work and don't keep it very stable. if you need to make water harder (higher pH), just add non-iodized salt. if you need to make it softer (lower pH), i've found that I can do that by using carbon filtered tap water rather than aged tap water. also, a small amount of tea can lower pH (because of the tannic acid).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!