Photo: What the hell is this???

Coldnorthtoy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I know the pictures suck, but as I was about to move the Doctor from one fridge container to another, I found this.

It's red, round and flat, with a bit of a white/transparent 'tail' thing on one side. It's about 1/4" in diameter.

The Doctor is in the fridge because of the stuff discussed here.

Attachments

• umm-what-01.jpg
    umm-what-01.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 361
  • umm-what-02.jpg
    umm-what-02.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 318
  • umm-what-03.jpg
    umm-what-03.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 300
Better photos.

PS: If you use an iPhone and a flashlight to take pictures of something your axolotl pooped, and are keeping said pooped object for future reference... You may have a problem. I know I do.

Attachments

• umm-what-04-crop.jpg
    umm-what-04-crop.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 311
  • umm-what-05-crop.jpg
    umm-what-05-crop.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 318
I really don't have a clue. Some kind of tissue mass that got trapped in your guy's digestive tract? But maybe now that this is out of the way The Doctor will have an easier time pooing.

It reminds me of what a cyst would look like, but I am no Doc.

Well, another one showed up today when I changed the water. No pictures this time.

Also, the one from the other day (the pictures) disintegrated, so ... who knows. :rolleyes:

I also noticed that there appears to be some damage/something near the Doctor's cloaca, similar to (but nowhere near as bad as) this.

I'm hoping a stay in the fridge will be enough to fix it - unfortunately, a vet isn't really an option right now. :(

And yet another last night - this one was thin and initially looked like a drop of blood settled on the bottom. Who knows... :confused:

At least the Doctor pooped, so that's a good sign; still no interest in eating, though. My tank just started to cycle too, so once that's done, and the Doctor looks better, s/he'll get to go back home.

Could it be he hurt himself trying to poop so bad? Just a thought.

Could it be he hurt himself trying to poop so bad? Just a thought.

Could be. Who knows... He's still alive so far, so I guess it wasn't anything important. :sick:

I was hoping someone had seen this before and could fill me in, but I guess I'm out of luck. :(

Could be. Who knows... He's still alive so far, so I guess it wasn't anything important. :sick:

I was hoping someone had seen this before and could fill me in, but I guess I'm out of luck. :(

I know the feeling, buddy. I've been hoping to find someone with an Axie like mine on my red toe thread.

Anyways, we're all rooting for The Doctor :)

I want to say I've seen something similar, but maybe not so... pink.

I have no idea what it is. I assumed it was some sort of bit of something that animal had eaten and was then eliminating. But I don't know for sure.

There are occasional odd reports of various things herps have passed spontaneously (in Biomedical and Surgical Aspects of Reptile Husbandry there is a picture of a snake that spontaneously passed a kidney). Unless you have it examined by a vet, you may never know what it was other than some random tissue.

Ed

I want to say I've seen something similar, but maybe not so... pink.

I have no idea what it is. I assumed it was some sort of bit of something that animal had eaten and was then eliminating. But I don't know for sure.

There are occasional odd reports of various things herps have passed spontaneously (in Biomedical and Surgical Aspects of Reptile Husbandry there is a picture of a snake that spontaneously passed a kidney). Unless you have it examined by a vet, you may never know what it was other than some random tissue.

Thanks, Kaysie and Ed - that at least adds some more context. The 'thing' dissolved by morning, which leads me to believe it was food-related - but I'm not a vet, and I don't play one on TV, so I may be wrong. :p

Or maybe Ed's right, and the Doctor's down a kidney. Or a lung. Or a nut. Who knows. I'm hoping this won't have to involve a vet - poor student status makes that almost impossible. :(

What does a spermatophore look like? Could it be one of those things a male axolotl leaves for axolotl ladies to "sit" on?...

Are you sure that he pooped it and didn't throw it up? Just a thought. Hope he gets better!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back