Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Leaving axolotls over Christmas

Raj

Reaction score
Hey there!!
Im Raj and Ive just joined this forum.
I have 4 awesome axies which I had for just under a year now.

My question is regarding leaving axolotls for an extended period of time. My parents have just surprised me with a holiday over xmas which is lovely, however, it does mean that I wont be around to feed my little guys. Ive asked a friend to cme in and feed them while Im gone but he can only do it so many times. I was wondering if there is some sort of live food I can leave in their tank and they can eat over a longer period, I have never fed mine guppies before but Im considering getting some of these (was thinking about cherry shrimp too but not sure how long they would last).

If someone would be able to get back to me with some advise as soon as possible I would be very greatful!

Thanks,
Raj

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
You can leave them unfed, and it is far safer than getting someone in to feed them. Make sure in the lead up to your break that they are a good body weight and they'll be fine.

AxieMama

Reaction score
Yes, I'm curious also...if for 3 - 4 weeks would they be better off in the fridge?

Thintros

Reaction score
yeah, I'm also interested to know how long without regular food starts to get dangerous, because I think one of mine might have been starved for a while :mad::mad:

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Caudates are very hardy and will survive a long time without food. How long depends on the health of the animal and the environment it's kept in. A healthy axolotl is more likely to die from poor water quality than starvation during 4 weeks. If the tank is large, well established and not overstocked the risk of poor water is lessened.

What size tank do you keep them in, how long has the tank been established and what is your usual water maintenance schedule?

In an ideal world you'd find someone to pop in halfway through your holiday who could do a water change and feed them a juicy worm each, although the water change would be more important than the worm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1