Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sand Eating

fishcakey

Reaction score
My baby has been eating small bits of sand, some of the sand is less fine grain, but I still think it is ok for him to pass through. He's been on the sand for almost half a year and he doesn't seem impacted or his belly hasn't really changed. He only eats a little bit at a time, so I've just assumed he's able to pass it. Is that an ok assumption to make or should I be worried? I've read a bit about this but i just wanted to be sure that you can depend on checking on impacted behaviors.

A9oAgbYCMAIXeG2.jpg:large

looks pretty normal to me, his belly might be a little big because he just ate!

Last edited:

daedae

Reaction score
Is he eating sand on accident when he chomps on food, or is he randomly taking gulps of the substrate? His belly doesn't looked impacted, even the larger bits of sand should be save for him to pass.

FX1C

Reaction score
Is that the black quartz sand that feels a little sharp when you rub it between your fingers? Some black sands can be dangerous to axies :(

<3 >o_o< <3

fishcakey

Reaction score
He just likes to eat it randomly. Maybe he needs a feeding dish too that would maybe deter him from eating sand. I'm pretty sure the sand itself isn't dangerous for him, I spend a lot of time trying to find good black sand I could use, and it felt perfectly smooth when I washed it. It came from an aquarium store and it's sand meant for aquariums.

Cheva

Reaction score
Ive seen similar threads on sand eating with mixed outcomes, some do get impacted but some pass without issue.. Some just eat sand... No explaination why .. If your Axie isnt showing signs of distress and is still eating / pooping I wouldnt worry about it.. But like Nikki said if its not just "Sand" but a coarser substrate the concern would be about sharp bits shredding their gut.

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
As said, its hit and miss. As far as I can see it looks really fine so hopefully he's able to pass it. Have you ever noticed him "sniffing" around the substrate during or before he eats it? If so he's looking for food, which is probably the reason he's ingesting it. Any substrate is edible unless it's much larger than the axolotls head. It's not uncommon for them to eat it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!