Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Is this gas bubble disease?

Bobcat

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new here. I've had 2 axolotls for 31/2 years and before Xmas I discovered the tank full of eggs. My son insisted I save them from being eaten and as a result, 3 full on months later I have 13 little mouths to feed. I successfully raised baby brine shrimp to get them through the first few months and now they are ferociously eating frozen blood worms like their parents.

On and off over this time we have had some bubbles in their tummies. I pop them in the fridge for a few days and they resolve. However, over the last few weeks it seems all but 2 of them have bubbles. I live in Sydney and it has been in the high 20's most days for the last several weeks. Could the heat be giving them gas bubble disease? I have put the whole tray in the fridge for a couple of days at a time but then they don't eat. Should I just leave it in their indefinitely?

I do a full water change every day and feed them once a day. They are all pooping regularly.

Here is a little vid I did at todays feed time. They will eat those worms within about 15 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaMk7TRf_ag

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bobcat

Reaction score
In the video at about 1:20 you can see an example of the bubble the best. It is just under the back and is the length of the body. Then the stomach and organs are distended underneath. It's the same in all of them bar 2. :confused:

seagull

Reaction score
i had a problem with young axies gulping air and getting bubbles
feed constantly to keep air bubbles out of them

Bobcat

Reaction score
What exactly do you mean by constantly?

If I have blood worms in there all the time won't it foul the water?

seagull

Reaction score
What exactly do you mean by constantly?

If I have blood worms in there all the time won't it foul the water?
i mean each day stick a roach or a wad of worm matter or watevs in front of it so it eats and that will force/keep air bubbles out

E

Elise

Gas bubble disease is usually associated with a supersaturation of gases in the water causing air bubbles to form under the skin. Aging the water prior to use will often resolve the issue. (source and a discussion on the subject)

If they are floating but continue to have normal appetite and bowl movements with no other symptoms, you can choose not to fridge so often. You may find the floating stops after a few days. Fridging tends to be a greater stressor than the floating, especially if fridging is done frequently for short periods of time.

Bobcat

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. :happy:

I use a water ager. Is that good enough? Is it ok to age the water in plastic?

Bobcat

Reaction score
It's just the chemicals from the plastic leaching into the water that concerns me. I wouldn't drink water that had been sitting in plastic, especially in the heat. Seeing axies are so sensitive to stuff in their water I was wondering if anyone had any issues with aging water in plastic.

Lexolotl

Reaction score
I, personally, have never had issues with aging water in plastic containers. I have aged water in 5 gallon buckets and 5 gallon jugs that come with caps. I fill them with water, treat them with tap water conditioner, and then stick them in a closet or somewhere out of direct sunlight.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1