Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Milky areas or white patches on axolotl's body

Sillystar

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to axolotls and I've noticed some changes to my new pets' appearances. Are one or both of them sick, and if so, what do they have and how should I treat it?

The leucistic one has developed some milky spots on her upper fin (above is 2 weeks ago and below is today). The black one has white coloration at the base of her gills (left is 2 weeks ago and right is today).

They both are eating well (frozen bloodworms, nightcrawlers, pellets) and active. The water temperature was at 70 F, filter flow is buffered, and I've been doing water changes every couple of days. They are 4-5" long and about 4 months old.

Any idea what the problem could be? My breeder thought it might be fungus and told me to lower the temperature to 60 F and treat with API Primafix (which I've done), but I figured I'd get a second option just in case. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20170419_095441.jpg
    20170419_095441.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 7,438
  • 20170419_095623.jpg
    20170419_095623.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 2,229

Amyglistens

Reaction score
Hi ya 70 is a bit too high for them between 60-66 is best. Check your water quality if it's all good then they should clean up any fungus infection on their own

Sillystar

Reaction score
Thank you! I really hope she'll show signs of improvement soon so I'll know if I'm on the right track. Do you think I should try any tea or salt baths to help things along, or is the Primafix enough? Don't want to over-treat/overstress them out, but don't want to do too little too late either.

Sillystar

Reaction score
Update for anyone who sees the same issue: I lowered the temperature in my main aquarium by 7 degF with a USB fan and reflective foil insulation wrapped around 3 sides of the tank. Both axolotls were quarantined in tubs in our cool basement for 3 weeks and was given 1 salt bath per day for the first week only. The milkiness on the leucistic axolotl never went away and instead spread the rest of her body. However, both axolotls remained active/alert the whole time with a healthy appetite and even grew 1 inch while in quarantine. Eventually they were returned to the main tank.

Conclusion: I think the milkiness was just a normal part of the leucistic axolotl's growth and development. Maybe some leucistic juveniles start off with more translucent, thinner skin that becomes more opaque and thicker over time? As for the melanoid, he continues to have lighter skin at the base of his gills and that too is just his normal coloration.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!