Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dirty tank please help!!!

seisle

Reaction score
I am struggling so much to keep my axolotl's tank clean!! I am feeding it blood worms and each time I dip the tongs in the water a bunch of them fly everywhere. I spent 3 and a half hours yesterday cleaning out the sand because a bunch of them got trapped in there and caused the ammonia to go to 0.5. I ended up throwing out the sand and then I fed my axolotl again as a sorry for the stress I caused- which meant I had to spend 30 more minutes cleaning!!!! I doubt I got everything away too. I really cannot deal cleaning this much as I don't have the time! I am just using a small net to get all the blood worms out. How do you guys feed/clean the tank? Whats a more efficient way? Please I really don't want my axolotl to be uncomfortable :confused:

Hayleyy

Reaction score
If feeding bloodworms I'd recommend using a feeding jar (just a cleaned glass pasta jar is fine) and have the worms in there. This stops them getting everywhere, but some of the red liquid in the frozen ones can still pollute the water. Another option is to move your axolotl into a feeding container. This is what I do when I do a water change, axie comes out for some frozen treats (in addition to his normal daily worm) and I change the water.
OR you can change from a bloodworm diet to a earthworm/nightcrawler. How big is your axolotl? These worms are more nutritional than bloodworms, and there is barely/no clean up. I order nightcrawlers online, you can probably find a supplier if you google around :)

seisle

Reaction score
thank you so much Hayley!! My axolotl is pretttyy small but has a super big appetite. I'll start looking for some worms online. Is it better to scoop her out with the container or let her rest in my hands and then pick her up out of the tank? Pretty new to this sorry!!

seisle

Reaction score
I tried the container thing today which saved me soooo much time thank you so much Hayley! The ammonia is back up again at 0.25!!! So I'm going to put Mushu in a tub for a while and let the tank cycle because I cannot keep doing daily water changes of a tank that size.

However, I've noticed white patches all over Mushu and I can't tell if they're new or not because I have no pictures of her sides!! I took a lot of pictures so if anyone could help tell me if she looks healthy or not, I included a picture of her above so someone could tell if she looks underweight or not. Thank you so much!!

https://imgur.com/a/JNwuC7w

Biev

Reaction score
This can happen as a result of the ammonia, but hopefully with clean, cool water, it will heal on its own.

seisle

Reaction score
omg I feel so bad I've stressed mushu out so much today. When I woke up today there was black stuff floating alll around the tank, I have no idea where it came from but it was impossible to get all out and the ammonia was at 1! I took her out of the tank but didn't have anywhere to put her as I hadn't bought the big tub thing for her yet that I was planning to use whilst the water cycled. I put her in my small rubbish bin and treated the water and did everything right but the ammonia was still high because I transported her in a container that had hte old water, so I temporarily tried to put her in a smaller bucket whilst I replaced the water in the rubbish bin, but the bucket was too big to fit in the rubbish bin and not big enough for me to just pour al lthe water into it so I got a smaller bowl to transport her but as I was putting the bowl into the bucket she flopped out onto the desk and then onto the floor! I picked her up as fast as I could and put her in the bucket and held my hands ontop for a little bit until she calmed down so she oculdn't flop out again and then put a towel over it. I then had to transport her back to the rubbish bin which I imagine whch was just added stress! But she couldn't even straighten herself out in the bucket. It took me a couple of hours before I could get the tub and shes in there now. Shes swimming around fine but her gills are very curled and I feel really bad! Is there anything I can do to ease the stress and make sure shes okay?

seisle

Reaction score
I also just noticed shes just sitting in her tank and not flickering her gills!!! I nudged her with the edge of the net and she swam around so shes not dead but I'm scared

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1