Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger Salamander Help - Illness?

WaltertheTiger

Reaction score
Help Please.
After 9 years health is really deteriorating. We believe based on reading that Walter may have MBD.

However I also believe he may be very constipated at this point, is there anyway to assist with that?

He also seems to be in some pain, snapping at me and shaking head. Opening mouth, sticking tongue out... has refused food for over a week.. Also is not moving lower half of body, trying to dig/move with front legs to no avail. Is friging a good idea to try? Anything I cab try at home?

Hubby has not agreed to taking him to the vet due to age and likelihood of MBD.
It has been a sad week considering losing “her” after 9 years.

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
Can you post a few pictures so we can see what you mean?
I’m so sorry to hear about his condition, hopefully someone can give some advise to help him make a full recovery. Is there possibly something lodged in his throat? My tiger, Salaman Grundy sticks her tongue out and spits up a little when she grabs a chunk of dirt or coconut husk with her crickets.
What kind of material do you have in the tank? Is it possible he swallowed something and has an impaction?

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
With captive amphibians, as they get older they have a chance of developing more respiratory issues. If he has been having trouble walking, have you considered keeping him in a shallow dish of water maybe?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!