Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick newt, heat stress?

MeghanA

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. We recently acquired a Newt. She was very active the first week or so and would swim up to me asking for food by clicking her jaw. I feed her live blood worms and sinking pellets. As of recently she stoped eating. One week she was on land all day for maybe 3 days and I would gently mist her with water and she would eat occasionally. We think maybe the water was too warm for her. Now she is only in the water and floats. Sometime she floats on her back and acts like she is brain dead. Her eyes don’t focus and she seems to have lost all personality. She does wiggle around and moves about the tank. She does seem to have lost some hand eye coordination. She has no apparent injuries, a little bloating, and no open wounds. Heater is not plugged in, using sponge filter, and planted aquarium. Divided tank with mesh and guppies on one side. Can anyone help figure out why she is acting funny? Could it be heat stroke? Heat stress? And what can I do to reverse it?

Water parameters:
Ph 7.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ml
Chlorine: 0
Temperature: 68

AuSu

Reaction score
What kind of newt is it? Is it already grown up or young? Was it wild caught? I think fish can be one stress factor since in the wild, many newts prefer fishless waters. 68 is ok temperature, don't put the heater on to avoid it getting any warmer. If it's turning upside down, it sounds ill for me. You could take it in a small critter box and maybe put it in the freeze with some wet towels on the bottom.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/illness.shtml Here is a link where you can find information about different illnesses.
I hope you get more help and things get better soon!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!