Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Making my own pellets

celestiallotls

Reaction score
So something that has always interested me is making my own axolotl pellets. i primarily feed earthworms and night crawlers, with the occasional bits of bloodworm cubes, repashy meat pie, and hikari pellets. my axolotls go CRAZY for the hikari pellets but i want to make something on my own so that i know exactly what im feeding my pets.
the ingredients in the hikari pellets are
White Fish Meal, Shrimp Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Flour, Alpha Starch, Brewer'S Dried Yeast, L-Lysin, Dl-Methionine, Fish Oil, Vitamin A Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source Of Vitamin C), D-Activated Animal Sterol (Source Of Vitamin D3), Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Choline Chloride, Inositol, Calcium Iodate, Manganese Sulfate, Magnesium Carbonate.
(taken from the petco site)
i primarily dont want to use these anymore because of all the starches and wheats in them. i know they wont kill my axies but i also know its not nutritional. any ideas?

FelipeNN

Reaction score
Hello Celeste!

The problem with the pellets composition is that some of those ingredients are used to give the pellets the right consistency.

Anyway, if there is enough percentage of protein, that is around 60% if I'm not mistaken, the food is fine.
But buying all those ingredients to do your pellets will be a big headache :D

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Maybe look into making frozen cubes instead? My axies have always loved them and will eat them if they are being fussy with other foods. It will probably be a lot easier and you don't have to worry about the unnecessary ingredients to keep it all together.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!