Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What’s wrong with my axolotl’s gill?

EllieMC2

Reaction score
My golden axolotl had two white gel-like blobs on one of his gills this evening. It was not there yesterday. I assumed it was a piece of debris, but when I went to wipe it off him, I noticed that he is missing a few of his red feathers on that gill. He is in a tank with another axolotl, they are both about 5 months old. I don’t know if the other axolotl has nipped his gills and that it was healing, or that it’s some sort of disease or fungus? The other axolotl shows no signs of illness and they are both eating well. The water conditions are all good and kept at 17 degrees c. Does anyone know what this is? Thank you.

EllieMC2

Reaction score
I thought it was a bit of debris caught in his gills, so I didn’t take a photo. When I went to remove it, he jumped and swam erratically, not sure if that is why he is now missing some of the fronds.

EllieMC2

Reaction score
I have a photo after the white gel substance was removed.

Attachments

• 8AD83A9D-6222-4659-AD0C-13D60E3A3C29.jpeg
    8AD83A9D-6222-4659-AD0C-13D60E3A3C29.jpeg
    511 KB · Views: 188
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!