Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Close to taking the plunge to get two axolotls

ZSThomp

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm a reptile and amphibian lover but have never had an axolotl. I've been researching them on and off for years. I believe I'm ready but just have a few questions:

I plan to use the Prime and Stability method to cycle tank as mentioned at https://axolotlcity.com/how-to-cycle-an-axolotl-aquarium/

Then do I just add Prime when I add water or if the ammonia/nitrites are too high?

If you have stuff in your cage like rocks are other other things, is it ok to scrub them in tank water to clean them or will that get rid of good baceria colonized on them?

If I use sand as a substrate, is ok to sift the sand a little bit with a siphon or will that also get rid of good bacteria?

I'm thinking of using one of the HOB filters out there. They all use "cartridge" type replacement filters...do I just leave the old cartridge in the tank for a while so I don't crash the cycle when I change filters or does it matter?

Sorry for so many questions, but those are the ones that I have left after my research. I may add more questions to the thread as time goes on.

I'm excited but nervous because I've seen tons of threads on sick axolotls and cycle problems. Reptile keeping requires a lot of specific care but sometimes viewing all the things that can go wrong with axolotls and tanks make them seem even more daunting!

Thanks all for reading.

Z

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!