Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White tips of one curled-up gill

Isbiltur

Reaction score
Hello! First time poster, long time lurker here

Yesterday I did a weekly water change and I'm sure my axolotl (2 y.o.) looked perfectly healthy. Today I noticed that her one gill is curled up and some of the tips has turned white. Initially I thought about a fungus but I'm not sure if it looks like one as there are no "fluffy" cotton-like bits.

She acts normally, I haven't spotted anything weird in her behavior or appearance besides the white curled-up gill. Her sister (both are in the same tank) is completely fine.

Tank water parameters: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 20 nitrates.

She is in a separate box now with clean water and an air stone. An hour ago I put her in her first tea bath. The gill is not curly anymore but the filaments are still white.

I still have no idea what it is, how should be treated and what could cause it. Any help would be appreciated.

cache.php

Emperor

Reaction score
Hey the image won't load for me! Sometimes axolotls can develop vitiligo or sometimes theres slight variations of colors of certain morphs depending on the temperature. Can you try re attaching the image ? If you think its fungus I'm not sure tea baths as the best solutions for a possible fungal infections as salt baths are better. For skin issues tea baths are fine though, but make sure to keep exposure to a minimum http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/illness2.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!