Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hynobius dunni

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
You are my hero Niels :D
I have this dish and cleverly threw out the box. I put the instructions somewhere safe.....and forgot where it was :eek: I tried a few times from memory, but the shrimp are mixed up with the eggs. Now I shall use it correctly and see if the maculatum will like them.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I had lost a lot of these through them predating on one another. I would gaze at the bottom of the tank trying to spot them. Night time I would go out with a torch and spot a few as they appear lighter in the dark..... then while picking out some fallen leaves from the surface I found them :) They seem to like lurking near the surface, and there are far more than I thought.
This week I started to think about what i would do when they morph. I was checking out the tub that my adults used and remembered how they would jump and wriggle. There is no way I would be able to fish them out of their current outdoor tank. So I am now starting to scoop out the larger larvae to come into a morphing tub. These are now happily munching small cut earthworms. :) I have no idea how much longer it will take, they are are starting to take on the more greyish colour of juveniles.

Attachments

• 20170610_123642.jpg
    20170610_123642.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 633
  • 20170610_123732.jpg
    20170610_123732.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 583

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
At last the dunni are starting to put some effort into metamorphosis. This one is close to being on land. I noticed a few are not far off either.

Attachments

• 20170703_183414.jpg
    20170703_183414.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 570

xxianxx

Reaction score
Hi Julia , have your original juvys started breeding behaviour yet ? I had six when we visited Chris, last year the males went to water , developed big heads but the females stayed terrestrial. This year both are in the water, males permanently females daily, no other signs of breeding yet. Upped feeding and water change regimes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!