Baby newt care

Darkalix

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hello everyone, I found this baby newt which hatched in my micro terrarium (didn't even notice it !) filled with water from my pond. I also found some moskito larvae to feed him. The problem is that I don't know if it is good for him as food, and if I need to cut little bits of larvae or just but the whole larvae and he will eat it. I put some pictures of my newt and the larvae.
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 60389507_2538037062887066_4876176199073660928_n.jpg
    60389507_2538037062887066_4876176199073660928_n.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 284
The food items have to be small enough for him to eat , see what size it can manage. Does your pond have daphnia ? Thats a good aquatic food. What species is it ? Im assuming it survived on microrganisms in the water you di d water changes with, is this correct ?

My pond has cyclop copepods, is that ok ? I think he fed on those since there were a lot in my terrarium. I think it is a Lissotriton helveticus, and when I saw him I put him in tap water that I change every 2-3 days.

My pond has cyclop copepods, is that ok ? I think he fed on those since there were a lot in my terrarium. I think it is a Lissotriton helveticus, and when I saw him I put him in tap water that I change every 2-3 days.

If your ponds fish free i would use pond water and any small bugs in it, once its a bit bigger small chopped eartworm , bloodworm , fruit flies and fruitfly maggots aswell when it goes terrestrial.

Ok, so I won't need to feed him untill he grows terrestrial ? If I change his pond water every 2-3 days ?

Ok, so I won't need to feed him untill he grows terrestrial ? If I change his pond water every 2-3 days ?

As long as bugs are in the water it can feed, add pond weed aswell , it will provide cover and have additional bugs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back