Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need help treating my newts illness

Min

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here and came online to look for help in treating my newt. I've had him for 8 years and this is the first time he's been sick. I was going to do the Dirt Quarantine that is mentioned on this site but thought I would ask for help too, in case someone is familiar with what might be wrong with him.

Here is a picture:
11142007_8388.jpg

ragon

Reaction score
i have never encountered this problem but maybe you should take him to a vet...:(

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
His tail may have gotten caught in a filter intake. Or it could be deteriorating due to some general health or water quality problem. I would recommend amputation, with help from a vet or other qualified person. Are his toes all looking OK?

What kind of newt is it? From the tail, I'm guessing maybe a rough-skinned newt (Taricha)?

Min

Reaction score
I can’t believe this post was almost 12 years ago. Chances are no one will read I this but I’m not sure what the tail rotting was but he lived for another 7 years. I still have Marley and he’s 23 years old

AuSu

Reaction score
It's nice to hear that there was a happy end! Was the tail amputzed at that time or did you give some treatments? Do you still remember how long did it take to heal? And was Marley the companion in the same tank? :)

Min

Reaction score
It was a home remedy. There are no vets who specialize in newts here. I quarantined him in a dry tank (with access to a small bowl of water) and soaked him in water with triple sulfa for about 10min a day. It took about 2-3 weeks if I recall. At one point I thought he had died but may have been lethargic (hard to tell with a newt lol) so I put him back in his regular tank and he was ok a few days later, minus the tip of his tail. Marley was his tank mate and didn’t have any issues *knock on wood lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!