Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pingia granulosus

paul_b

Reaction score
Pingia granulosus was called as synonym of Pachytriton!

Now in a new article it is described a valide species:

HOU Mian, ZHOU Zhuo-cheng, LI Pi-peng. LÜ Shun-qing: Rediscovery of Pingia granulosus (Chan, 1933), and Description of the Neotype Specimens, Sichuan Journal of Zoology, Vol. 28, No. 1, 2009

It is in Chinese.
Someone here who can make a translation?
Paul

Alejandro

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Dear Paul,

Could you please e-mail me the article so I can give it to one of our Chinese students for translation? My e-mail is caalejan@utep.edu. Thanks.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: AW: Pingia granulosus

I have an English translation of this, whoever may want it. To me, it looks like this animal could be another Cynops, rather than a new genus.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score

I've had a quick look at the translation and my evaluation can be summed up as "No genetics = no credence". Likely another Pachytriton variant. This paper strikes me as something we'd see in a Victorian journal (ouch, sorry).

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Indeed, it's sad to see such an exciting find described in such an inadequate paper. I'm still betting that it's closer to Cynops; doesn't look like any of the other Pachytriton.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score

Indeed, it's sad to see such an exciting find described in such an inadequate paper. I'm still betting that it's closer to Cynops; doesn't look like any of the other Pachytriton.
I'm sure you're right - I really didn't pay much attention to it when I saw what the authors were about.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
A subsequent paper made anatomical comparisons of animals from near the locality of these animals, along with genotyping. Animals involved were morphologically identical to "Pingia granulosa" as described above...and they were also genetically identical to Pachytriton at the same location. Unfortunately, the neotypes and the neotype locality were not re-evaluated, but the evidence as-is indicates a situation identical to the original description - Pingia granulosa are juvenile Pachytriton.
Morphological Variation in Pachytriton labiatus and a Re-Assessment of the Taxonomic Status of P. granulosus (Amphibia: Urodela: Salamandridae)
https://unibio.repo.nii.ac.jp/?acti...tem_id=59&item_no=1&attribute_id=10&file_no=1

An additional paper has studied variation in Pachytriton, and found four [maybe five] distinct species. Those from the region of Pingia granulosa are the only ones without a name of their own, though they are called in the pet trade "Pachytriton labiatus".
Homoplastic evolution of external colouration in Asian stout newts (Pachytriton) inferred from molecular phylogeny
http://www.oeb.harvard.edu/faculty/hanken/public_html/documents/Wu%20et%20al%202009%20Zoologica%20Scripta.pdf

Based on these two papers and my own application of ICZN, priority, and logic, I draw the following conclusion: Essentially lacking a name of their own, this population assumes the oldest unique name applied to the species, which is Pachytriton granulosus. Yes, I've discussed this elsewhere before, but it's directly relevant to this thread, to bring some "closure".

The neotypes need to be re-examined. If they are Pachytriton, they can stand as neotypes, although adult specimens would have been better. If not, they need to be re-named, and P.granulosus should have a NEW neotype designated.

paul_b

Reaction score
AW: Re: Pingia granulosus

Based on these two papers and my own application of ICZN, priority, and logic, I draw the following conclusion: Essentially lacking a name of their own, this population assumes the oldest unique name applied to the species, which is Pachytriton granulosus. Yes, I've discussed this elsewhere before, but it's directly relevant to this thread, to bring some "closure".
I can see no other conclusion!
Paul

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1