Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best Coolers for their price?

mushutheaxie

Reaction score
Ok so I've been putting it off for as long as i can...but i think i have to buy a chiller for my Mushu's (my axolotl) tank. I live in texas and during the winter keeping his tank in the 60's was no big deal, plus as a baby he lived in a 10 gal and it was easier to keep cool. Now he's in a 20 long and with each month it gets warmer and warmer here. Every morning I wake up to his tank being anywhere from 71-74.8 degrees. Three times a day I put huge amounts of ice in his tank to keep it around 66-69 degrees. But it's a lot of hassle trying to do that often enough to actually keep it cool for long.

So anyways, long story short. chillers are expensive. And if i'm about to spend as much money as i've seen them cost, I want it to be actually worth it.

so, my question: what is the cheapest chiller that is decent for a 20 gallon tank? By decent, i mean capable of keeping it at least 65-66 degrees or an axolotl friendly temp in a 74-78 degree room.

the cheaper the better of course, if there's one in the $100-150 range that'd be amazing. but if i must get one of those high $200-350 dollar ones, I guess I'll suck it up and do it while crying at my wallet.

Note that if I were to stop doing the at least 3 time daily ice adds to my tank, his tank would be at 76 degrees. which to me doesn't sound safe for an axie. So a chiller is necessary if I ever want to stop constantly adding ice.

Last edited:

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Amazon has a couple variations of chillers. One at $287 then another at $382. You could try and source a second hand chiller to save a bit of money!

I know 'Aqua Euro' are a reliable brand.

mushutheaxie

Reaction score
Amazon has a couple variations of chillers. One at $287 then another at $382. You could try and source a second hand chiller to save a bit of money!

I know 'Aqua Euro' are a reliable brand.

thank you! I'll look into those now :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!