Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are plastic tanks good for axies??

Aztecx

Reaction score
I was talking to an axolotl owner a few days ago and they told me that I can't keep my axolotl in a plastic tank. I don't really understand, since they are coldwater?
I've kept mine in a 100 litre storage box for almost a year and he has never had any problems... He has two hides and two fake plants, and a low-flow filter. Of course it doesn't look really pretty but I think it is okay? It is cycled and the tank levels are perfect.

And anyway, I've been planning to get him a larger glass tank and make it look really nice for a while. So he's not staying in here for too long, a couple more months at most...

Here is a picture of my tank. Is it okay?
(It's not normally that bright - I keep the curtains down most of the time and it's really dark)

Attachments

• IMG_7661.jpg
    IMG_7661.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 935

ShrimpShepherd

Reaction score
He probably thought that you had a small desktop acrylic tank (he assumed you had a small tank). Plastic tanks should be fine tbh as long as they're not leaching chemicals into the water.

Hoagii

Reaction score
I had to keep my axolotl in plastic tubs for an extended period of time, and I've never had any problems. Half of the decor we use in their tanks is plastic, right? As long as it's cycled, he should be just fine

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!