What Happened

1lowtoy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Travis
Warning Novel Ahead!!!

Ok so i had 5 healthy newly hatched axies and im saddened to say they all passed on to a better place tonight. I have no clue what happened tonight but i tested the water all levels were perfect maby just a tuch low on the PH but should been acceptable. also the hardness an was great there was 0 amonia. little to no nitrates and nitrides also. The weired thing i noticed is when i fed them they were all going crazing doing twist and flip witch has never been normal. I was feeding newly hatched brine shrim that was washed before feeding. I even tested the water after they had passed and it was perfect any ideas what may have happened so i dont make the same mistake twice. Any ideas would be appricated. I also in the market for 6 more newly laied and fertal eggs if any one may have any. Besides that my 4" axies are great so im wondering if my 2 year old son may have put somthing in the container water while my back was turned cause the babbies container was much lower on the shelving unit than my larger axie tank.I had changed the water this morning also and they were alive when i got home from work. I change there water daily and scrub there containers every other day with a salt and baking soda mixture i had read about and there washed with water from my filtered and declorniated 300gal clean water tank for our tropical fish. Ive changed other fish, fry and axies tanks and had absolutely no problems. I'm at a loss for words if any on has a idea of what happened it would be great if some one could shed some light on what may have happened.

Travis

hi travis
im really sorry to hear what happen. i have never raised babies so im unable to help with that side.
lea

Maybe this article on why larvae die may be of some use. Are you using the same water from the fish tank that you used to scrub the containers with?

Im using or water supply of declorniated and sterlized water we use for our breading fish tanks its never been in a tank its a large black tub with 300gal of crystal clean water that has been through a series of carbon filtes for declorination reasons and constantly aireated and covered to insects out since its in our heated poll barn witch we have all our breading tanks in.

you'll need to get your priorities straight and lose the kid. You and your axolotls will thank me later.;)

haha!

sorry to hear about the axies though, larvae can die from the most random causes it seems.

Last edited:
Now thats funny any way thanks. as for the filtration I dont belive that the water could be filtered too much like RO due to it only being running through carbon in a slow trickle for the removal of chlorine and so on its worked for our fish for over 20 years for my father and 7 years for me. Im not sure what happened Im still leaning toward the sun may be putting some salt for the brine tanks in there but checked the salinity and seemed to be no diffrent than what comes out of the tap. any way i want to try to do the egg thing again and hope it goes much better i think once they hatch im going to seperate them all once they hatch so if i lose one i dont lose all of them.

Thanks
Travis

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back