Illness/Sickness: In the way to become terrestrial (Metamorphoses)

Answering your question do you need to give Thyroid hormones for the rest of its life? The answer is no.
After metamorphosis in tiger salamanders thyroid hormone falls to undetectable levels. Thyroid hormone given continuously will increase the metabolic rate and shorten its life. There is a suggestion that thyroid hormone levels may rise briefly associated with breeding but for most of tiger salamander's adult life there is effectively no thyroid hormone in their blood.

If old large adult axolotls are artificially morphed the result is usually a sickly individual but if morphed at about 150mm, the same sort of size tiger salamanders naturally morph they are often hardy and long lived individuals.

Get conditions right and it may live well beyond three years. They cannot regenerate injuries like un-morphed axolotls but are still often hardy. Give it a terrestrial tank but I find my morphed axolotl still likes to spend a lot of time in a shallow weed filled bowl of water rather than burrow, so I recommend allowing it access to shallow water as well as burrowing material and land.
Many thanks for the detailed answer.
I use as a substratum a coco and a few moss. As a reservoir I use a ceramic bowl filled with pure water. But I have noticed that to him isn't pleasant to spend much time in water, sometimes he comes into water but after that at once leaves and long sits on a land.

He is beautiful! And I am so glad that he survived the process :) He is lucky to have you

I can't believe how well you have done, looking after such a poor looking little guy in the 1st photo - YOU ARE AMAZING! :D
Especially since you tried your hardest to fight to save the little 1, even though others around you (not here!) didn't think it worth trying.
Well Done! (And on the little guy's behalf, thank you!)

I can't believe how well you have done, looking after such a poor looking little guy in the 1st photo - YOU ARE AMAZING! :D
Especially since you tried your hardest to fight to save the little 1, even though others around you (not here!) didn't think it worth trying.
Well Done! (And on the little guy's behalf, thank you!)

Thanks a lot!
I can't simply leave a dying animal if there is a chance to rescue him it is necessary to them to use.
I named his Mr. Tooms:D (so called one character in x-files serial, he was rather hardy)

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for posting photos. How amazing. He is beautiful

Good for you Prot, amazing what you have done with him, he is lovely and so glad he has found a happy home :D

Prot, I believe you really saved this guys life. Without you, I'm sure he wouldn't have been given the proper care you have supplied him with love that he needs.
May he have a long and happy life, he is truly beautiful. ♥

Thanks a lot!
I can't simply leave a dying animal if there is a chance to rescue him it is necessary to them to use.
I named his Mr. Tooms:D (so called one character in x-files serial, he was rather hardy)

Ah yes - Eugene Tooms. 1 of my favourite characters in X Files :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back