Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How can I safely rid my axolotls tank of snails?

Cas

Reaction score
Justin,
Clearly you have a problem with goldfish, I don't share your concerns nor do others I know. But I'm sure for every one person I know who doesn't have a problem you would have one that does. I'm not interested in getting into a religious debate here, and personally I believed goldfish were not recommended primarily due to poor nutritional value and left over fish could nibble on our poor axies.

Either way, I don't think our difference of opinion should hijack Mandy's question lol.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Justin,
Clearly you have a problem with goldfish, I don't share your concerns nor do others I know. But I'm sure for every one person I know who doesn't have a problem you would have one that does. I'm not interested in getting into a religious debate here, and personally I believed goldfish were not recommended primarily due to poor nutritional value and left over fish could nibble on our poor axies.

Either way, I don't think our difference of opinion should hijack Mandy's question lol.

There is no hijacking here. You gave, in my opinion, very questionable advice and I felt the need to let Mandy (and anyone else who might read this thread) know the dangers of following said advice. For the record, I never told her not to follow your advice...just simply let her know a very potential downside.

Cas

Reaction score
You question my advice, yet you give no reason why other then they carry diseases. Well I hate to break it to you mate but that is common across all animals in shops/breeder not exclusive to only goldfish.

I ask then where is your proof that goldfish are carriers of a disease more so than any other fish? Obviously I cannot claim that goldfish are disease free (that would be insane) but neither is potentially any fish/salamander etc brought/acquired. Even viral diseases such as herpes are generally close related species specific, common across all fish, and are not going to affect an axolotl.

If you are talking about other diseases such as Ich, fin rot, external parasites then obviously these again occur across all fish there is no bias against goldfish that I have ever found commented on when you exclude poor water quality and overcrowding in shops. Why spend money for space on a $2 goldfish when you can use it for a $100 tang? These are the reasons when purchasing new fish you quarantine it.

I assume with your fear of disease you disagree with the idea of community tanks, never use anything between tanks (buckets, tubes, filters), and never introduce something new into your tanks even after a period of quarantine because they carry diseases. I assume you disagree with any previous advice given here on introducing new axies as tanks mates even after a period of quarantine since you believe moving goldfish from a tank into a new tank will bring disease. If you have some kind of tangible proof that goldfish carry unseen diseases that would elude a period of quarantine (and dangerous to axies) more so than any other fish/animal I would love to hear you out but so far you have simply been disagreeable and finger pointing. Qualities which are good for checking the validity of advice, but when not backed up its pure fear mongering.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
You question my advice, yet you give no reason why other then they carry diseases. Well I hate to break it to you mate but that is common across all animals in shops/breeder not exclusive to only goldfish.

I gave 2 reasons, diseases AND parasites. Take note of that second one. That's not something that quarantining fixes. Everything thing we feed can carry some type of pathogen or parasite, there is no way around it. Some species are more prone to be vectors of disease/parasites than others. Goldfish fall into this category as well as certain mice, rats, certain roaches, other amphibians, etc. I have nothing against goldfish, had you mentioned another fish I still would have posted the same response about the disease/parasite issue.

I assume with your fear of disease you disagree with the idea of community tanks, never use anything between tanks (buckets, tubes, filters), and never introduce something new into your tanks even after a period of quarantine because they carry diseases. I assume you disagree with any previous advice given here on introducing new axies as tanks mates even after a period of quarantine since you believe moving goldfish from a tank into a new tank will bring disease. If you have some kind of tangible proof that goldfish carry unseen diseases that would elude a period of quarantine (and dangerous to axies) more so than any other fish/animal I would love to hear you out but so far you have simply been disagreeable and finger pointing. Qualities which are good for checking the validity of advice, but when not backed up its pure fear mongering.

Who said anything about fear? Hell, with a collection the size of mine I'd have to be out of my mind to worry about every little transmission point. I never once said she shouldn't do it. I just mentioned the cons. That doesn't seem like a fear to me. But I guess cause I mentioned the cons you would assume (See a trend here?) I'm scared of diseases and against anything that could possibly spread them. I'll be the first in line to tell people I use tadpoles, frogs, crayfish, fish, even axolotls and other sals as food. Do I tell people to do it? Nope. Do I tell people not to do it? Nope. I tell people the cons, whether or not I do it, and then let them make their own decision.

It's funny you're asking for proof. I don't recall you given me any information that disputes me. I'm leaving work now and don't have time to post 20 links so how about this for starters.....search through various forums (this one or any other aquatic forum) and look at the sick threads. You'd be surprised at how many can be traced back to goldfish vs. other various fish.

Cas

Reaction score
I did wonder why you seemed so worried about diseases and parasites given I have admired your wonderful collection of animals. Similarly I figured there was no way you could have a separate lot of paraphernalia for each tank so to minimise disease spreading.

My "proof" was the fact that people add animals to their tanks constantly after a period of quarantine. I also had links to scientific papers, but I figured it was a bit much considering I doubt anyone could be bothered reading them (I never can even when I have to for writing my own papers.) Similarly no one is going to write about there not being a bias towards goldfish carrying diseases more so than any other fish when its not news breaking (another reason why I didn't bother with the papers they deal with specific diseases I didn't feel were relevant as axies cannot catch them) Also earlier I said there was minimal disease/parasite risk in my opinion because people use them as feeder fish without problems. You claimed disease was why they are discouraged, yet I disagreed saying it was nutritional value and nibbling on axies. I apologise for not giving direct links but I figured it was common knowledge around here that people use goldfish as feeder fish (regardless of if they should nutritional wise).

As for how you answer questions, Did I tell her to do it? Nope. Did I tell her not to do it? Nope. I did say that I have done it on multiple occasions but clearly I did not make the cons of disease obvious enough. She asked for a safe way, in my opinion it is safe.

I believe if you look through those threads there are more problems relating to poor substrate and water quality or lack of quarantine than using quarantined fish.

Clearly I didn't make the cons clear enough for that I apologise but I disagree that goldfish are notorious carriers of disease and parasites, and I personally (make of that what you will, but I'm going off my own experience) see minimal risk in adding goldfish to clean up snails.

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
If you put a lettuce leaf in the snails will come out to eat it then remove the leaf with the snails attached. Repeat the process till they are all gone, its the best way I know of to get rid of them without risking your axi. Even if it takes ages.

Hope this helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1