Stopped searching for food

1lowtoy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Travis
Need a little advice please its been a real long time since I have been on here. I have a axie that wont get his own food any more. This axie is starting to get thin not sickly thin, but thinner than normal. He will eat from my fingers and tweasers but will not eat from the bottom of his tank any more. He used to eat the pellets I bought from the university all the time on his own from the saucer i put in the bottom of the tank. Its like he has gotten lazy and no longer will get them on his own. Ive tried changing it up a little and tried worms my female goes crazy over food any time I place in the tank and eats her saucer right up but my male wont go after his food any more. Not that i mind feeding my axies by hand because i enjoy it, but when im out of town and my wife has to feed them she refuses to feed them any other way than placing the saucer in the bottom of the tank. If any one could be of assistance it would be great.

Thanks
Travis Troyer

You've trained your axolotl that you are the 'bringer of food', and he just waits for you to bring him food instead of searching for it himself. That's one of the down sides to handfeeding.

You can re-train them by enticing him to come over to the plate, and dropping the worm on it. After a few days of this, he should figure it out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back