Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger salamanders.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Early October I received a couple of tigers from Penthea (Mark) . I am really enjoying these two. I tend to feed them last as they are so interactive. They rather gleefully devour earthworm. I'm hoping in the new year I will be putting my two oldest sons to work and will build them a nice big out door enclosure. I am also hoping to add a couple of females to their enclosure.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 2,328
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,192

herbaltree

Reaction score
lovely!
My tiger doesn't seem to understand earthworms...he just tends to play with them instead of trying to eat them!

AnnaBeth

Reaction score
This thread has pretty much sold me on Tigers. They are so personable. I thought my corn snake had the face of a lover until I saw your Tigers. :)

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Last week I received a couple more, hopefully females. I really need now to get on with their new outdoor home.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,529
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 1,168
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 635

grius

Reaction score
Looking good! I hope it turns out that you are right about they being females.

Question. What do you use as substrate?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Tomas. I use a mix of coco fibre and garden soil. If I just use the garden soil it gets compacted very easily.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Julia - are you going to take a shot at breeding them....outdoor enclosure? If so, best of luck!

grius

Reaction score
Okey. I have tried to find a good soil long time now and it is impossible to find in sweden. But I will keep looking. Now back to the thread subject:)

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately both the females died. The first I found dead half inside her tunnel. She had fed the day before and behaved normally. The second died a week later. I fed her in the morning, she came out like a rocket for food, ate a couple of worms and then wandered back to her hide. I returned lunch time and she was lying on the surface barely breathing. I brought indoors and placed her on barely damp paper towel and left her, and hour later she was dead. There was nothing visibly wrong, she looked perfect. I have contacted the sellers regarding this in case there may be a problem with the batch . These where sold as raised from wild-collected larvae, I wonder if maybe the stress of being sent may have been too much for them. I keep my earthworms in a wormery and all my other animals are fed the same, so I am pretty sure that they where not the problem.
So once again I am looking for some more female Eastern tigers.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Yesterday I found both my males dead. I have absolutely no idea why, both where fine the previous evening.
I had put them in a different tank after I lost the others, replaced all their soil and hides . I also added a minimum and maximum thermometer so I could monitor the temperatures, the readings had all been good.

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
:( Julia I really feel for you, I hope that they can find out what happened or what was the cause of the deaths to try and give you some peace of mind! :(

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Julia - did you ever receive feedback from the sellers of your females? It seems they died within 5-6 weeks after they arrived.

Did your males and females share the same enclosure? Your males seemed to be doing fine for 6 months and then it appears that 2 weeks after your females died, your males died. If I were to hazard a guess - I would wonder about pathogens and the females transmitting an infection to your males....unless something dramatically changed in their environment/setup.

Sorry for you loss.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I did get a response from the seller, basically without a necropsy there was no way of finding out what happened. He did say that the other buyers of tigers from the same back had not contacted him with any problems. He did offer to pick me up some more, but I chose not to as I have lost faith in the seller.
The males and females where in different enclosures and did not share anything. But rather stupidly, when I found the first female dead, I put the remaining female in with the males. I deeply regret having done that now. I do suspect some kind of infection is what killed them as it seems too much of a coincidence. When the second female died, I removed the males and put them in a completely new tank...but that may have been too late. I am pretty sure it wasn't down to contaminated food as I feed all my animals from the same source.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1