Got a bit of an idea brewing... thoughts?

Im another Aussie like Chris but Im on the other side. Im in Brisbane, Queensland.
A few of the members here started a facebook group called axolotl-aholics

Last edited:
I'm near London, in Surrey :) Thankfully Vampybabe and I live locally to each other, so our holidays are covered. A network of axie lovers is a great idea :)

:confused:Maybe John should add a folder called: World Caudata Users
In here people can post their land, city and adress?
What do you guys think about it? :confused:

I would be interested but I doubt anyone in Japan lives close by me!

Yes, Lara, I think you and I may be the only two people in Japan on this site...

Also, bare in mind that depending on the characteristics of your tank and the state of your animals it may be entirely possible to leave them alone for a week or perhaps more. Being a large bodied species means they can tolerate a considerable amount of fasting, plus they are oportunistic predators so they can deal with shortages of food. Of course they have their limits but a few days shouldn´t necessarily be an issue at all. I just thought i´d mention it in case someone might be tempted to drop their animals for just a few days which may be unnecessary.

Hello,

Sorry a bit off topic for this thread, but just a comment on this - while the animals themselves certainly could be fine without specific attention for this kind of period, I would have to say that I feel this is not advisable. Animal care/pet guidelines generally specify checking animals at least every 24 hours (if they specify), and while not absolute this is probably a good idea.

As stated most amphibs in a stable set-up don't need food/water/etc - but most rely on some sort of powered accessory to some extent, whether filter, heater/chiller, lighting etc. If that goes off for whatever reason, how quickly could problems arise?

Also if the animal developed a health problem, leaving it untended for several days or more could leave it subject to prolonged suffering.

Similarly, suppose one of a group of animal died just after you left, and decays, polluting the environment - particularly in an aquatic set-up that could be disastrous.

Not saying leaving an animal alone for 25 hours is cruel or anything like that but should the above should be borne in mind, and at least a brief check every 24 hours or so is generally advisable.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back