Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is the best way to end the life of a very injured axie

2gsom

Reaction score
This morning I was confronted by a juvenile axie who had jumped over a meter to the floor then been 'investigated" by the kitten. I knew the poor baby was beyond help as it had central body puncture wounds. I put it back into its container it died several hours later. I feel awful that it had to suffer, what is the best kindest and most painless way to help an axie in this type of situation. Not one I want to come across again but better to know just in case. :(

jessicaanne

Reaction score
Like any species of animals, there aren't many (if any) painless options other than euthanasia performed by a vet which can be quite expensive. You could devote time and give absolute care for the animal and hope it survives but I'd say euthanasia is your best option if you don't want to let it pass by itself out of fear that it's suffering. Also, sorry for your loss :(

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
We have written an article on euthanasia to help in situations like this. It outlines acceptable and unacceptable methods of euthanasia. Freezing is not an acceptable means of euthanasia for salamanders.

I'm sorry for your loss.

2gsom

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies and wishes. I will check out the page. Thankfully I did not freeze I was not sure so just tried to make it comfortable as possible.

dvsgal

Reaction score
I had to do this with one of my axolotls.
This way was suggested by the vet.

Put the axie in a container add 2 aspro clears or any dissolving pain relief medication into the water.
The axolotl will pass out and quickly pass away.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1