Injury

I don't think you need to wait until it's grown back, but at least until regrowth has started.

From my understanding it depends on the situation. I would keep the separation there until your axie looks more comfortable, is more mobile and has the leg growing back. The issue really is the tank mate. Is he/she being fed enough to prevent it from wanting to eat the other? Are they perhaps incompatible? I would just try to make sure that they were both strong and comfortable in themselves. I'm sure someone else may have a better response. I would focus on allowing the injured one to be equally as strong as the other. And of course make sure that they were both eating well so they realised that food came from you.

I did put up a picture of the worms i feed them in hope of figuring out if they are underfed. There 6 1/2" so really dont know if im feeding them the right amount & how often to feed them. I know that next time I go away I will seperate them just incase to avoid this happening again. :ufo:

Ok so its been a few weeks since the injury & this is what the leg looks like now. Can I remove the seperator & let the 2 sisters float about together ??

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 206
I lent a wild type & a golden to someone - similar sized juveniles. After a couple of months I was rung to collect the golden back....all 4 legs gone, one gill & a full half the tail - what an awfully sad sight. One of the legs was particularly unpleasant, as there was bone protruding & it looked a very 'angry' wound. I added loads of oak leaves (for the tannins), & within 9 - 10 months he is almost indistinguishable from others his size - even the muscle within the tail, as well as the fin area, regenerated fully.

Not something I would have planned, obviously, but a stunning demo. of the powers of rejuvenation.

He is now back in a mixed tank with 3 others (one golden & two wild), & I have had no other problems.

Wonderful creatures!

H

Ok so its been a few weeks since the injury & this is what the leg looks like now. Can I remove the seperator & let the 2 sisters float about together ??

How's she doing?

<3 >o_o< <3

Stumpy (as i can tell them apart seems like the appropriate name) Is doing very well. I couldnt keep them separated in the same tank much longer so there back together, been like that for a couple of weeks. So far so good. She is moving about like nothing is bothering her. The leg is growing back nicely, Its moving about from the shoulder & looks like the muscle is coming back slowly no sign of the hand yet but I feel better now & I know I did the right thing with getting the mangled leg chopped off.
Im going away in May so I'll separate them again just to avoid any problems.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back