Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wanting to get my first axolotl

ClockworkParrot

Reaction score
Yep turkey baster is something I highly recommend. I have 9 axolotls because my ultimate goal is breeding, my largest leucistic just started getting dark fingertips and from what I can tell looks more like a female but I wont know until she reaches her full size. I decided to not add any substrate until they are all adults because it makes it easier to clean up and I'll be moving them to either one big tank or multiple different tanks. Look at the other forums to see what other users used to make hides and decorations, pretty cool ideas :)

I will look through the forums and see how people set up their tanks :3

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Axolotls are definitely worth the wait, I found out about them when I was much younger and was devastated that I couldn't get one in NJ, now that I live in florida I have a whole little family of axolotls :)

ClockworkParrot

Reaction score
Im pretty excited to work on buying my set up and am trying to figure out what I want to do tank wise and how many axolotl since I am going to have to get a little chiller anyways.

Out of curiosity Boomsloth are any of or axolotls nearing breeding age yet, and what colors do you have if you dont mind my asking.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Im pretty excited to work on buying my set up and am trying to figure out what I want to do tank wise and how many axolotl since I am going to have to get a little chiller anyways.

Out of curiosity Boomsloth are any of or axolotls nearing breeding age yet, and what colors do you have if you dont mind my asking.
Right now my largest (leucistic) is about 6in and Starting to look more like a female but I won't know any of their sexes until they reach adulthood. I would think that sometime next fall they would all be at breeding age or close to it.
my axolotls
GFP leucistic
GFP wild type
Melanoid
Albino
5 wild types

ClockworkParrot

Reaction score
Right now my largest (leucistic) is about 6in and Starting to look more like a female but I won't know any of their sexes until they reach adulthood. I would think that sometime next fall they would all be at breeding age or close to it.
my axolotls
GFP leucistic
GFP wild type
Melanoid
Albino
5 wild types

I am thinking of getting a GFP leucistic, I am hoping to get one that is a solid color with little to no dark spotting. Did you get yours from a breeder?

I am also going to get a golden and regular leucistic. I decided on a 40 gallon breeder tank that is going to go on sale in about two months according to someone I talked to at petco today. So I am going to buy all of the parts I need (Chiller, filter, slate for the bottom of the tank, ect ...) while I wait for the tank to go on sale.

I read that slate tiles on the bottom of the tank are good for the feet and easier to clean than sand as long as you dont have gaps for their legs to get caught in. Can someone let me know if this correct?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1