Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Off her food

1stimeaxi

Reaction score
Hi, I bought an axi for my kids for Christmas and we are worried about her as she appears to have gone off her food over the last few days. She has been eating crickets and worms. I have given her chicken in the past and we tried the frozen bloodworms blocks but she didn't seem interested in them. We also tried meal worms but she didn't seem interested.
It has been VERY hot and it took us a while but thanks to a post on this site we started putting water bottles that had been frozen in her tank to keep the temp down.
PH is fine (usually between 7 & 7.4) and we have changed water every 7 - 10 days since we got her. We haven't tested nitrite, nitrate or ammonia levels as we don't have the kits.
I have attached a few photos - hopefully they're not too blurry to see. Tail started to fold before we got the tank temperature under control.
Any help appreciated

Attachments

• P1020018.jpg
    P1020018.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 158
  • P1020016.jpg
    P1020016.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCN0792.jpg
    DSCN0792.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 149

Donna001

Reaction score
Please, please, please get a water testing kit, or find out if your local aquatics store will test your water for you. Ammonia and nitrites are toxic, and can reach very hight levels while your tank is cycling (assuming that the tank isn't fully cycled).
You will get spikes inthe levels of both ammonia and nitrite while the bacteria in your filter are growing to the levels required to convert axolotl waste to the less harmful nitrate, and I think that this is the most likely cause of your curent axolotl problems.
A large water change will help to reduce the levels of ammonia/nitrite in your tank. I'd suggest 50% immediately, then smaller daily water changes (around 20%) to help while you get the water tested.
I have added a link to some information on tank cycling, which should help.
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Although this is a situation that requires immediate attention, it is also one that can be resolved. A lot of people find themselves in this situation, and end up with a very healthy tank environment, and happy axolotls.
Please keep us posted on your progress so that we can help.

emdalliance

Reaction score
Did you cycle the tank before putting her in?

You haven't stated what you're trying to feed her now? You should try earthworms or chopped up prawns or axolotl pellets.

High temperatures can stress and kill very quickly. How hot did the tank get? It may be too late and the damage may unfortunately be already done.

Please do get a testing kit, everyone with an aquarium needs to have one.

What size is her tank? Until you get a testing kit, please get the API testing kit or similar, avoid strip tests, then do 20% water changes daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1stimeaxi

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, we'll test the water. We are using filter and oxygen seems OK. Tank is a 3ft tank so it is definitely not too small for her.
We have tried to feed her her favourite worms but she's not that interested. The tank temp was pretty hot (we couldn't quite test it without a thermometer which we bought and then have cooled tank since). It currently sits between 22 & 24C. Does the heat make them more likely to float or are some axis just floaters? She loves to hide behind the cool water bottle so not sure if that is good or not?
Thanks again everyone - we'll keep you posted.

Luca1980

Reaction score
The temp is way too high. Temperature that high can kill an axolotl. Use more frozen bottles, her tank should be at 18 degrees. I live in Australia as well and invested in a chiller for my 4 foot tank.

1stimeaxi

Reaction score
The temp is way too high. Temperature that high can kill an axolotl. Use more frozen bottles, her tank should be at 18 degrees. I live in Australia as well and invested in a chiller for my 4 foot tank.

Thanks - what chiller do you recommend and where would i get one?

Luca1980

Reaction score
Also - the higher the tank temp always means lower oxygen levels in the water - this is bad - get it as close to 18 as possible and maintain it as best you can.

1stimeaxi

Reaction score
Thanks - we gave her a salt bath today and have fridged her til a chiller arrives. If I already have a filter can that work as the pump for the chiller or do I need to get the specific pump for the chiller? We only have a 3ft tank so we're going to get the HC-150A. On paper it looks like it will be fine for the tank. Our filter pumps 1500L/hr so we're thinking that will be fine.
The constant frozen 2L bottles aren't working in this heat so it looks like the best option at the moment.
Thanks again for all your help, we'll keep you posted as to progress once fridging process complete and tank has chiller attached.

1stimeaxi

Reaction score
:( unfortunately we lost her today. she didn't seem too keen to eat while fridged, and was gulping for air yesterday salt bathing. we took her out to change the water this arve and she didn't move....
thanks to everyone for your help - as luck would have it we were setting up the chiller tonight so if I decide to get another one we will have the tank ready for it before we bring it home

Lots of tears from the kids :(

Luca1980

Reaction score
I'm sorry you lost your little friend. Axies are very fragile and I have also had a run of bad luck with my guys lately :(

Don't be disheartened though, if you decide to get more then make sure your tank is fully cycled and ready before adding them in.

1stimeaxi

Reaction score
I'm sorry you lost your little friend. Axies are very fragile and I have also had a run of bad luck with my guys lately :(

Don't be disheartened though, if you decide to get more then make sure your tank is fully cycled and ready before adding them in.

Thanks - we are working at getting the tank right & then will look again. We are definitely going to get more but not sure if we should wait til the weather cools a bit. :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1