Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mouth Rot?

dkostetsky

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

First off thanks ahead of time for all your help, all the advice I've gotten here has been a huge help with our girl Mochi.

Lately there's been a new development. For several days she was ping ponging around the tank (initially I assumed she may be eggbound), and then was having issues with floating (aka, gassy bloat?). Cleaned the tank and that calmed down so I figured it was a water issue.

However, I've noticed she's got a black line around the interior of her mouth that's leading me to wonder if it's possibly Mouth Rot? Her mouth is always a tiny bit gaped but I'm attaching photos since searching online hasn't shown any definitive photos that say 'THIS IS MOUTH ROT'. On the plus side, she seems to be eating normally and we do have a vet that treats Axolotls nearby if it requires a vet visit. Her diet consists of bloodworms and occasionally earth worms when they're in season (she's a very picky eater)

Please excuse the tank state, today is water change/cleaning day.

Thanks for taking a look!

Attachments

• IMG_1238.jpeg
    IMG_1238.jpeg
    412.4 KB · Views: 1,368
  • IMG_1239.jpeg
    IMG_1239.jpeg
    651.9 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_1240.jpeg
    IMG_1240.jpeg
    753.8 KB · Views: 427

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Axies don't get eggbound so that was possibly bloat. Has the bloat/floating gone down or is it still an issue?
I don't have any experience with the mouth issue so if you have a vet who knows axolotls it may be worth a trip in case it's an infection and needs medicine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!