Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Got shrimp?

RobM

Reaction score
I have joined the shrimp gang!
Found somewhere that sells them yesterday and today I now have 6.5 red cherry shrimp swimming around a bowl (.5 because there is a baby).
I have to say, I have found them great fun to watch so far!

morg

Reaction score
do these cherry shrimp eat newt eggs at all?
I made the mistake of adding gammarus to some of my newt tanks years back as a food source, they breed like mad, arent eaten by the newts and eat newt eggs

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Don´t worry Morg, they don´t. I thought they might when i first got red cherries but experience quickly showed that they don´t even touch them. I´ve never had any problems with the shrimp and young larvae either. These shrimps are just too good. I can´t believe it´s not butter!

Scuds are completely different, they are surprisingly predatory. I wish i could get the knack of breeding them, though, excellent food!

morg

Reaction score
They sound quite interesting.
Sorry if this has already been covered in this thread and Ive missed it, but the main foods used for my newts in live bloodworm, and live tubifex, would the red cherry shrimp eat those?
In one large newt set up I introduced gammarus too and the population exploded, Id put the livefoods into a feeding bowl in the tank, and the gammarus swarmed in taking all the bloodworm etc before the newts got a chance.
I had to completely strip and restart that tank

seandelevan

Reaction score
Wow how did I miss this thread? Been a member here for years and I’ve kept colonies of rcs with my pyrrhogasters for years. Best tank mates for newts ever. I might have a few hundred living in my 75 with the 3 newts. Never seen a newt go after them let alone eat one...even if they do who cares? Have so many. They seem to be breeding just fine despite temps in the 50s in the winter up to 70 in the summer(tank is in the basement). Highly recommended critters.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!