Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I'm new to this... Tips?

DaisyFlower

Reaction score
Hey all.
I got my two axolotls on the 25th, and I'm just looking for some tips and tricks to help get started.
My wildtype, Molly, keeps going up to the surface around every 7-10 minutes. Is this normal?
My golden albino Mango doesn't really move much, and every time I try to feed her she swims away.
At night, they both seem to go to the surface around every 2-3 minutes.

(Sorry for the bad grammar..)

Attachments

• IMG_3991.jpg
    IMG_3991.jpg
    540 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_4008.jpg
    IMG_4008.jpg
    615.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 59891559365__1B454D48-2906-4FCB-96C9-E9A6BA214B40.jpg
    59891559365__1B454D48-2906-4FCB-96C9-E9A6BA214B40.jpg
    817.9 KB · Views: 162

Cgilliam9x19

Reaction score
I copied this from a group im in with wonderful axolotl owners! Let me know if you have any questions! :)

Here is a basic axolotl careguide for prospective owners!

Tank size: 20 gal minimum for one adult axolotl. 10 additional gallons for each additional axolotl. (20 gal long is great for one axie and easily available!
-
Prime is the only water conditioner that should be used, as other brands have aloe and other chemicals that axolotls slime coats are very sensitive to.
_
Temperature: 58-68 degrees f. 58-65 is ideal. Never higher than 70 degrees f
_
Diet: earth worms (nightcrawlers/red wigglers or other varieties.) Repashy: grub pie, or sinking salmon pellets.
_
Treats: Ghost shrimp are a great treat. Under no circumstance should you feed any type of mammalian or poultry meat. Bloodworms are also very NON nutritious & addictive and should be avoided. And always remember to quarantine any live food for at least 6 weeks!
_
Size: 8-14 inches fully grown
_
Lifespan: 10-20 years
_
Substrate: bare bottom or sand. Absolutely no gravel or rocks. Gravel and rocks smaller than approx 2x your adult axies head pose a choking and Impaction risk.
_
Filtration: low flow or sponge filters are preferred. There are tricks to slow down flow, if you need some ideas, just ask!
_
Tank mates: species only! Cannot be kept with other fish or amphibians. Axolotls housed together much be of the same head size or they will cannibalize each other. Males and females should not be housed unless breeding
_
Other considerations: how to complete the nitrogen cycle before you get your lotl. How to effectively cool your tank in summer or in case of a power outtage. Purchase a liquid aquarium test kit to monitor parameters and schedule appropriate water changes. Exotic vet and medication.

Have you learned about the nitrogen cycle? Basically, the nitrogen cycle is the process in which bacteria that live in your filter break down harmful and toxic chemicals produced by your Axolotls gills, poop, food and plants (if you have them) and turn them into less toxic chemicals.

Ammonia is the first stage of this cycle. Ammonia is created by organic waste breaking down in your tank as well as produced as a byproduct by your Axolotls gills. Ammonia is toxic and harmful at any level present in your tank.

A bacteria called Nitrosonoma eats ammonia and converts it to nitrite which is equally harmful and toxic at all levels in your aquarium. This bacteria needs time to grow and culture in your filter. With ammonia present at 2-4ppm I typically takes around 2-4 weeks.

The next stage is nitrite. A bacteria called Nitrobacter eats nitrite and converts it into nitrate which is not toxic or harmful at levels below 40ppm for fish and 20ppm for amphibians. It takes about another 2-4 weeks for this bacteria to culture after nitrite begins to build in your tank.

Once both of these bacteria are successfully cultured, you should be able to read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5ppm or more of nitrate. It should also be able to successfully convert 4ppm of ammonia within 24 hours. The whole process can take 4-8 weeks.

landonewts

Reaction score
Since this was 6 days ago, hopefully the issues have resolved, but just in case -

Going to the surface for air isn't too much a cause for concern, but it seems as if yours are doing it a lot. My axolotls do it fairly often. If everything else is good, and your water quality and temperature levels are good, that's helpful. What kind of filter does your tank have?

Your golden not eating may just be a sign of stress. Is the golden still not eating? What are you feeding them?

WordsOfFate

Reaction score
Hello! First off, how many gallons is your tank? It looks a bit too small to house two axolotls, especially when they reach their full size. I also don't see a filter in your tank and unless you're doing daily water changes, you really want to have one because axolotls produce a lot of waste. I can't tell if it's just its natural coloring, but your golden axolotl's tail looks rather pink which can be a sign of ammonia burn which would explain why it's not eating.

Could you tell me what your water parameters are? If you don't have a water test kit, most pet stores will test water for free. I'm a bit concerned you may have some ammonia in your tank and if it's not treated, the ammonia can rise and become deadly.

As for your axolotls swimming up to the surface, it is normal for them to do just, just not as frequently as yours are doing it. Axolotls need oxygen and if they're swimming up to the surface that frequently, that tells me that there isn't too much oxygen in your water. I recommend getting a sponge filter because not only does it serve as filtration, it also oxygenates the tank and therefore reduces the frequency your axolotls will need to swim to the surface.

Hope your little guys feel better soon!

Kitan

Reaction score
First, Mango and Molly are beautiful! Congratulations!

So, in juvenile axolotls, going to the surface for air is pretty common and sometimes just like to float around near the top, BUT that does seem a bit excessive and may indicate not enough oxygen in the water. You have what looks like an epic filtration system (canister, or maybe my eyes are deceiving me). but one that may not oxygenate the water much. Live plants will help, but you can also try a weak air pump (the smallest you can get) attached to an air stone or water curtain. I did that for mine and he seems super chill about it. If you go that route, just keep an eye out for curled gills to make sure it isn't creating too much current and stressing them out.

Mango is not acting quite right and, moreover, their tail looks pretty red to my eyes. That to me screams of ammonia burn. It's your tank cycled? Where are your parameters?

DaisyFlower

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Thanks so much for your replies! Molly and Mango are doing fine and they're both eating. I have a canister filter, and I have put a new end on it which has helped aerate the tank.

As for Mango's tail, I tripled checked and turns out it's not an ammonia burn. Her tail was thin from being cramped with so many tank buddies, which meant that it looked pink. :(
She's all good now, and eating great. The ammonia has always been on 0, but we recently found out the tank hadn't finished cycling and that's why they were acting a little strange.

Thanks again for your amazing replies, and I hope you all have great days :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!