Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

PVC piping hiding places

AristotleA

Reaction score
If, like me, you don't like to pay a lot for something you can get cheaply elsewhere (like my homemade duct tape wallet)
71d90491e05e9c6d4bf12950fd8691f6.jpg

You might have thought about the solution for buying expensive reptile hides which is buying a large PVC pipe and cutting it to size for your axolotl(s). I'm just making this thread to show you that they work pretty well and axolotls will love them! My guy spends about half of his life in one of the 3 pipe sections I have in the tank. I have one end angled at the side of the aquarium so I can see him at all times, but he can hide from any angle of light. This bit of brown pipe I bought was £2.49 in B&Q and I could've made about 10 more with the amount of pipe I still have. I also bought a small piece of sandpaper to smooth out the edges so my little Aristotle doesn't cut himself. One con is that they do not really look as good, admittedly, but I don't find them too offensive to the eyes.
748d599dce08e58f191c4abd7ebd91cf.jpg
daef2804c67f5287f9059ffe882468f9.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

keiko

Reaction score
You can easily attach some sand or rocks to it with aquarium safe silicone if you want to make it look more natural. Or grow some moss on it.

valkyriemome

Reaction score
I have a mix of more traditional aquarium hidey holes and some PVC pipes. They seem to like the hides better-I think they are darker.

Swag

Reaction score
10606418_10152681663621155_7265075230114298407_n.jpg

Thought you guys might like this, made a background for my old 29 gallon. It had both a vertical and horizontal pvc pipe sections inside of it that were connected, the two (not fully grown) axolotls that lived in the tank were constantly hanging out inside the tunnels. Over all the maintenance wasn't too bad, I'd just take the turkey baster and push water through the tunnel which would push out any detritus and poop in there, did that about once a week. I enjoyed making it and really enjoyed looking at it.

valkyriemome

Reaction score
Nice looking tank!

I think I'd miss my axi's if I couldn't see them. Did they get up in there and hide out?

Swag

Reaction score
Nice looking tank!

I think I'd miss my axi's if I couldn't see them. Did they get up in there and hide out?

When they felt the urge. In the picture you can see my leucistic in the plants on the left side. They spent most of their time in the plants.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!