Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire belly newts not eating pellets and in help with scheduling

Vaneshka44

Reaction score
Hello how do I know if my newts are starving and how often should I feed the worms? (Should it be once a week?)
As for pellets should it be daily? They don't seem to consume the pellets either.
I'm worried they're already hungry since it's been a week since I fed them earthworms.
It's an extremely hot weather and it's difficult to find them at the vicinity.
So I'm relying on the pellet for now.
I don't know how I can make them eat it.
They're spending most of their time on the dry part of the terrarium so I don't think they're still semi aquatic.
If not pellets, is there an alternative I can feed them besides bloodworms? (Cant find them in pet stores here)

AuSu

Reaction score
If they aren't used to pellets, it can take a while (or more...) to get them eat pellets. Some newts refuse them always. I guess the easiest way to know whether they eat them or not is offer them moist from a toothpick or such and try to move them in front of their noses as if the pellet was a living creature. But if you can find worms, they are the best option - that might be difficult though when it's hot and dry. Do you have a fishing shop or a general store around, you might find earthworms there, too? But don't buy coloured ones!
If your newts are young, they might need food every day. Older can be fed less, I can't say what's the proper schedule - I feed mine a couple of times a week but sometimes less. I have firebellies, what type are your newts?

Vaneshka44

Reaction score
If they aren't used to pellets, it can take a while (or more...) to get them eat pellets. Some newts refuse them always. I guess the easiest way to know whether they eat them or not is offer them moist from a toothpick or such and try to move them in front of their noses as if the pellet was a living creature. But if you can find worms, they are the best option - that might be difficult though when it's hot and dry. Do you have a fishing shop or a general store around, you might find earthworms there, too? But don't buy coloured ones!
If your newts are young, they might need food every day. Older can be fed less, I can't say what's the proper schedule - I feed mine a couple of times a week but sometimes less. I have firebellies, what type are your newts?

Theyrr about 2 inches long. There's no fishing shop near us :(
I will find time to make effort to dig if they dont eat.
I tried to do the toothpick strategy but they ignore it huhu

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 921

Vaneshka44

Reaction score

This is what the container curently looks like. Should I make adjustments to it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 310

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To have any hope of those newts surviving you desperately need to do some reading and research on how to care for them. Here is the Caudata Culture care sheet to get you started, but you can also use the search function to find countless threads about newly imported firebellies that wont eat or go in the water.

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly

Methos5K

Reaction score
That habitat is not suitable in the slightest. These newts are nearly completely aquatic. Think fish tank with lots of floating live plants. You're gonna have to dig for the earthworms too; you can't make a newt eat a pellet, it will eventually starve. Bloodworms are no good; they have none of the nutrients needed for a growing newt.

AuSu

Reaction score
Also small isopods or slugs could be a living option if they are easier to find, but nutritionally, concentrate on worms. Slugs can be hard to swallow so they need to be extra small (smaller than a worm you would feed) or cut before feeding.
For the newts convenience and safety, it's best to take all the pebbles out. Take care the water quality is perfect so newts feel good to be there and don't get ill. They love plants to hang on and hide so more is better as Methos said and that helps you keep tank healthy, too.
Good luck and take a look at the pages recommended to get your little ones in good condition.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!