Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Red, Veiny Axie. Please help!

mackenzie1115

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Spike has been tubbed for 4 days and his redness is not going away. He hasn’t eaten since being tubbed and he is on his last day of his Furan 2 treatment. I’m not sure what else could be wrong. My cycle crashed and i am working on getting his tank up and running again. I have been changing his tubbed water 100% every day with 60* Primed water and he is still not getting better. Any suggestions? He’s had one black tea bath but i didn’t continue them because i wasn’t sure if it was even necessary in his current condition.

I’ve attached some pics, any help is appreciated!!

*No exotic vets available, or else i would have already taken him :(

Attachments

• 4C780F46-C97F-45EE-924C-CE16FCFBECD8.jpg
    4C780F46-C97F-45EE-924C-CE16FCFBECD8.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 513
  • 3249256C-8F5B-402C-94BF-299B0E78FFAA.jpg
    3249256C-8F5B-402C-94BF-299B0E78FFAA.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 418
  • E7290A92-C834-4CF1-9A4F-239542EFA5C3.jpg
    E7290A92-C834-4CF1-9A4F-239542EFA5C3.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 503

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Okay good that you have him tubbed while you get the tank sorted. Try and keep his tub under 18 degrees. Did he have a bacterial infection for you to use furan 2 or was it to fix the redness?
If he was exposed to ammonia/nitrite when the tank crashed it may have caused the redness/veins. Keeping him in cool clean water (100% daily changes is perfect) will help, though it will take time. Test your water source for ammonia, although the prime will detoxify this it's good to know if there is some.
What food have you been offering?

mackenzie1115

Reaction score
Okay good that you have him tubbed while you get the tank sorted. Try and keep his tub under 18 degrees. Did he have a bacterial infection for you to use furan 2 or was it to fix the redness?
If he was exposed to ammonia/nitrite when the tank crashed it may have caused the redness/veins. Keeping him in cool clean water (100% daily changes is perfect) will help, though it will take time. Test your water source for ammonia, although the prime will detoxify this it's good to know if there is some.
What food have you been offering?

Definitely high nitrates in the tanks currently so i am working to get them down. There has been some flooding in my area and my tap is now showing ammonia around 1.0, when it is usually at zero so i have been using prime to detoxify it. Should i switch to RO water? I’ve been told that could help but i wasn’t sure.

I was using the Furan 2 to treat a possible bacterial infection, but i don’t know if he had one for sure. I was told to use it to be on the safe side. He did have some swelling in his jaw area. He has turned down raw shrimp and blood worms so far. Usually he’s excited for the blood worms but he hasn’t even turned up his nose to them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!