The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 21st July 2014   #1
Sir Jagger

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Sir Jagger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the best way to transition cynops orientalis efts to aquatic?

What is the best way to transition Cynops Orientalis efts to aquatic stage? Is there an age or size when it is best to do this? Is it an okay practice to influence this change or should they be given suitable land and water and allow them to change on they're own? I know the importance of the water quality, should you have a tank which is properly cycled with the correct water quality then add it slowly to their enclosure? I would prefer them to be aquatic but want to do right by my newts first and foremost. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sir Jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014   #2
Seandelevan
(seandelevan)

Nationality:
Rep: seandelevan has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: What is the best way to transition cynops orientalis efts to aquatic?

Yes. I have done those things successfully on two different occasions. Java moss and java ferns are your friends in this. Get lots of it. Since I have a heavily planted fish tank I was loaded with it. Just get a ten gallon tank or smaller load it with these plants and have maybe an inch of water with a few rocks here and there sticking out of the water and slowly over time increase water. Also blackworms contributed. If they see them squirming around in the water they will eventually venture into it to get them. Soon they will take more and more ventures into the water. You might be surprised how fast they will adapt. I received land roaming morphs this past January (they were maybe 3 months morphed by this time) and by March were fully aquatic.

seandelevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014   #3
JM29

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: JM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and information
Default Re: What is the best way to transition cynops orientalis efts to aquatic?

I dont know if it is the best way but I and some of my friends put some 1 year old terrestrial orientalis directly in aquatic setups with a lot of plants (Egeria densa) this spring.
One conditions wich seems important is that the animals must be particularly well fed.
They accepted to stay fully aquatic within 1 week.

JM29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014   #4
Sir Jagger

Nationality:
Rep: Sir Jagger is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses. I have a 60 gal. I will be moving them into. I'll just set that up and let it cycle to get it ready. I can taper the water level so there is a shallow end and use a lot of plants to prevent drowning. I read on here that if they have land but not enough to remain fully dry that this can help them to revert to the water with adults so maybe I'll try that with them.

Sir Jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014   #5
JM29

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: JM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and information

That seems correct.
I gave my orientalis 2 floating pieces of oak bark (Quercus suber) which allow them to leave the water but not to fully dry ; it's a security The newts keep their skin always wet.

JM29 is offline   Reply With Quote