Fungus On Axolotls Eye~ Blind Or Will Regenerate?

mikeg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Michael
Hey guys so yesterday i noticed one of my Axolotls had fungus on his eye; saw the "cotton". I gave him a salt bath and it seems to be gone though i will do a couple more salt baths to be 100% sure. Will this cause him to lose his eye sight? if so do axies regenerate eye sight or is it an unfortunate body part.

There is a chance it will heal fully but it might take a long time considering how complex an eye is. Normally feet can take a month or two and gills longer than that so my guess is at least 3 months

It was always my understanding that severely damaged eyes do not regenerate well, with the lens not being able to regenerate at all in most cases.

https://www.scienceopen.com/document/vid/a1facf1e-2b40-4e07-bc30-adaa2352547a

I think OPs might not be severely damaged since the fungus would only have grown on the outermost part. Idk how badly infected it was though but it still might grow back. There is no real way of knowing if your axolotl went blind though, they rely a lot on their sense of smell.

The infection was very minor. I just happen to notice it with the way the Axolotl was positioned and the light, if it wasn't for that i wouldn't have noticed until it got worse later on. I know the eye is extremely complex which is why i was worried it wouldn`t regenerate. Like you said the Axolotl rely on other things like smell to find their food; does anyone have a good way to test if the eye was damaged?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back