Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: White wriggly worms in the tank?

noodles

Reaction score
I put sand on the bottom of my axalotls 3ft tank in febuary,soon after i noticed white wriggly worms swimming around.There were soon hundreds so i completely got rid of the sand.I now have bare bottom and while the numbers have decreased i still notice a fair amount and i cant quite figure out what they are?I have been feeding earthworms and have not introduced any live plants or tank mates.
INFO ABOUT THE WORMS -
they look white or almost transparent but out of the water they look more orange.I noticed they will go to the top of the water when disturbed(if im cleaning the tank) and usually congregate in the corners of the tank furthest from the filter when i have the UVB light on close to the tank(i only turn this on while cleaning or for my gecko,it isnt on 24?7)
can anyone help?how can i kill these as i want to add sand but fear the population will grow out of control.:(

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I think I remember reading that they are planaria, and harmless. They just look ugly. I've also got an outbreak of them so will await suggestions :)

noodles

Reaction score
mine dont look like planaria but are instead more thread like,since posting ive researched a tonne and i think my only solution is to do a 100% water change,clean all decor and tub the axalotl until my tank is cycled again,such a mess :(

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Can you post a pic of them? I'm curious!

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
They sound like detritus worms to me! I never had any issue with them. They live in almost every tank, but usually live under gravel or in the filter. They eat decaying matter like poop or uneaten food. Sometimes I get huge blooms of them in my frog tank if I pverfeed, I wouldn’t worry too much. But do please post a picture so we can confirm what they are.
By detritus worms, I mean nematodes. Just thought that I should clarify.

Kochebi

Reaction score
I agree with Rorey! Probably detritus worms. Like previously said they pop up when you over feed or if poop isn't cleaned up or of there's any excess decaying material in general. A few good water changes/tank cleanings should get rid of them. But don't worry, if they stick around they're no problem for your axolotls. If you get huge amounts of them, just take it as a sign to do some cleaning :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1