Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Armyworms as feeders?

peter5930

Reaction score
There's only one way to find out. Wikipedia said that they mainly eat grass and grain crops, so you shouldn't have much to worry about from phytotoxins in their gut contents or bodies. Just try feeding them to your least favourite axolotl first (I have loads, and I test new things out on my axolotls, preferably a juvenile, before I expose any animals that would be more difficult to replace, just in case it proves fatal). I tried feeding gooseberry sawfly larvae to one of my axolotls, but it wasn't keen on them. My gooseberry bushes get ravaged by them every year.

peter5930

Reaction score
I just tried a sawfly larva FOR SCIENCE!

They don't taste of anything on the outside; they just have a rough texture. When chewed, they taste like mashed up watery gooseberry leaves and not much else.

Niels D

Reaction score
That's an heroic deed mate! I've tried a big moth when I was playing poker with some friends. One of the wings sticked to my gums and it tasted like I would imagine the inside of a blister would taste. Nothing a big gulp of beer couldn't fix though.

peter5930

Reaction score
Note of caution; never eat slugs or snails raw, since they carry parasites that in rare cases can cause fatal meningitis when they start burrowing into your brain.

AlienFirefox

Banned
Reaction score
Note of caution; never eat slugs or snails raw, since they carry parasites that in rare cases can cause fatal meningitis when they start burrowing into your brain.

I believe the parasite is called Cantonese Blood Worms. They live in snails and slugs and if you eat them raw the parasites eat your brain and with dogs they eat there spinal cord. Terrible terrible way to die don't do it. Toddlers die from them all the time since toddlers eat snails and I have also heard of people getting them after being licked on the mouth by there dog that ate an infested snail.

kay

Reaction score
I'm officially grossed out :S It is amazing the damage a little parasite/insect can do to the human body.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!