Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Very Short Gills

MellyandSweeney

Reaction score
I've had my Axie for a week now and while looking through pictures of Axie's on Insta I find my Axie's gills are a lot shorter than most. Is it normal for some Axie's to have Short gills? or is something wrong with mine?
He was like that when I bought him, and also I noticed his left arm is REALLY thin half way up toward his body. I assume he was attacked maybe in his previous owners tank?
I bought him from Big Al's Aquarium Shop and he was alone in the tank. I just want to be sure everything is okay with my little guy :(

Donna001

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to the forum. :happy:

Please could you post your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temperature) and some pictures of your little one. That will help us to offer advice.

MellyandSweeney

Reaction score
PH= 7.6
Ammonia= 0ppm
Nitrite= 0ppm
Nitrate= 0ppm
And Temp is about 18 degrees Celsius
(I've also uploaded some pictures of him on my page).

I bought him like that, and he actually seems to be improving from the first day I brought him home :D

Donna001

Reaction score
It looks as if your tank isn't cycled.
I have attached a link to a fish forum tank cycling thread.
FISHLESS CYCLING - HOW TO DO IT | Think Fish Tropical Aquarium Forum
You will also find a lot of information on this forum.
I would suggest that you put your axolotl into a seperate container, with 100% daily dechlorinated water changes, while you cycle your main tank. This will ensure that your axolotl is not exposed to the ammonia and nitrites during the cycle, which are very harmful.

Apart from that, I agree that your axolotl's gills do seem a little short, but the feathery bits are looking good, so I guess it's not impacting on his breathing. Perhaps one of the more experienced keepers will offer some advice/information on gills and arm.

Best of luck with your little one, and please keep us posted on progress. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!