Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

55 gallon or 40 breeder for Axolotl?

EbonyAXIEPastel

Reaction score
Hello!:)

I currently have a 20 gallon long that house two juvenile axolotls. I have extensively been looking for a new aquarium to move them into when they are a tad older. I have narrowed it down to a 55 gallon tank, or a 40 gallon breeder. 55's seem to be everywhere, but where I am I can't seem to find a 40 breeder. I currently am leaning towards the 55 gallon tank. Initially, I wanted a 75, but I feel as though that may be TOO big... Now that I've rambled, my whole question for this is which one would you prefer to put your lotl's in (or if you do have your axie's housed in a 55 or 40b how did you decide) and why?

Just trying to get the best tank for my babes!:p

WalkingFish

Reaction score
I actually have 3 axolotls in both a 55 gallon long and a 40 gallon breeder. The breeder tank has technically a little more square inches of ground space for axolotls to walk on. However the 55-gallon has 15 more gallons of water so you're going to have cleaner water longer and need to do less water changes less often, be able to control your water temperature better and if you are doing any planting the extra height of the 55 will allow taller plants. Just because the 40 gallon breeder has a very little amount of ground space more doesn't make it a perfect choice. Either way I take it your axolotls haven't had much room to do a lot of swimming and are really going to enjoy the amount of real estate they have now. Let's talk about the downside of having 15 more gallons of water comparing a 40 to a 55 gallon tank. We're going to need a filter for that extra water and also be able to provide the proper amount of water flow which isn't too strong. Larger filters cost more money, they can cost more to run, and generally will require more filter media and have larger sponge pads to replace.It's probably not going to cost a lot more money but it's something to take into account if your doing this on the budget. In my opinion bigger is always better as long as you can afford it.

EbonyAXIEPastel

Reaction score
WalkingFish - thank you for getting back to me and explaining the pros and cons of each tank. I will be going with the 55 gallon, and picking it up tomorrow! I'm also pairing it with a 100 gallon cascade filter which I will modify myself to keep the water flow from being over powering for the little babes. My budget is very open, especially when it deals with my axolotls!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!