Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl stays in one corner of tank 90% of day? No water movement in tank

PeachyNietzsche

Reaction score
Basically my axolotl sits in front of a post card on her tank on the side opposite of the filter for the majority of the day, but I have the filter water diverted and it doesn't seem to be causing much water movement since she does, occasionally, sit directly beneath it and her gills don't move or anything. She will go about her tank and sit other places but she spends most of her time in the back of her tank in front of a lil painting of Jesus I stuck on the outside because she is most likely Catholic since axolotls are from Mexico.
I was thinking that during the day she may sit there since it provides complete shade from the sun, as her tank is in front of a window to keep as chilly as possible. I keep the curtains completely drawn so there isn't much light coming in, but she still may want to be blocked more. However, I've found she sits back in the corner when I occasionally have the ceiling light on, which is from a completely different angle.
Anyway, if it is the filter, how do I make it less bad if I've done just about everything already? There's a container diverting the flow, water level is high, the plants beneath it aren't moving and are also lessening the flow.
She's only started this recently and the postcard has been up since I got her, but I haven't really changed anything in the tank. I liked when she roamed around and followed me, but she's usually just chilling in front of Jesus now. :confused:

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Mine does that same, but it happens to also be the chiller output so it's nice cold water. It may be a temperature thing, since you said it is near a window. What temperature is the tank? Put the thermometer in that corner and compare it to the other side of the tank in case there is a slight difference.
Since you said there isn't much water flow it shouldn't be that.
Or maybe she just likes the picture, haha.

PeachyNietzsche

Reaction score
It is 1-2 degrees cooler throughout the day back by the picture! Probably because it is right up against the window. Wouldn't have even thought of that- thank you!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
That would explain it! If it isn't there already you can put the filter at the back of the tank where it is cooler and the output should hopefully circulate some of the cooler water to the rest of the tank.
What do you have to keep the water cool? A chiller or a fan? It is okay for the axie to stay in the corner but if you can get the rest of the tank cooler it may be more comfy for the axie :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!