Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T. shanjing, water problems in the terrarium

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Note from John: Moved to the help section.

Hi I have never used to put a small dish of water on the terrarium because my female was completely terrestrial but I wanted to breed And I will got another sexed pair but my expirience with terrarium dishes of water is very bad:
At the begining I cut a plastic with the measures of 25cmX25cm but one hour later it gone out and it had no water inside. So I use the same tipe of plastic but I cut 6 layers of plastic with the same measure. But the water still gone!:eek: so i bought a tupperware of 18cmX11cmX5cm and aprox. 0,30cm (3mm) of thickness and even it being so stong i couldn´t even believe when i saw that the lever of water was about the middle and I put it at the top!! in just 30minutes!! i am completly amazed!! and some of you guys, what do you use? hat kind? Or my plastic is good but I´ve done someting bad??.... I still amazed!!:eek::eek:

thanks mates,

elJorgo

Last edited by a moderator:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
3 possibilities:

- You're having a laugh
- Something is soaking up the water
- It's too dry or too hot

I'm going with the first one.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
hi with very respect I think it´s none of them.. the first can´t be because I use 6 layers of new, new plastic. and i use a rigid plastic dish new too. the second I don´t know but almost certainly it didn´t happend, and the terrarium its very humid to keep the moss alive.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Is there moss in contact with the tupper? or any plant, log, rock??? It sounds like there´s something taking the water by capilarity. Anyway i don´t think a tupper will be enough to trigger reproduction...i might be wrong though....

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
a small dish it´s not enought? didn´t you reproduce them at some months? you can´t you know?
thanks,

Eljorgo

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1