Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Peat???? Problems

Lee31

Reaction score
Hi All

I am acquiring some beautifull marbled and carnifex adults that are currently cooling...I have full cooling setups ready, (moss, bark etc, ) but cannot buy peat anywhere, due to environmental control on peat harvesting...I dont want to buy a similar soil and find its unsuitable for newts, i.e. additives, john innes etc,.
So what is the nearest type of soil to almost match the qualities of peat without any effect on the newts...?

Lee

grunsven

Reaction score
Potting soil is based on peat in most countries. This is not available in the UK (for very good reasons that more countries should follow)
Partially decomposed leaf litter is suitable, this closely resembles forest floors. It should not contain needles.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would not use peat - if you search the forum you will find many threads discussing the acidic pH of peat as a substrate which can lead to problems in caudates. I would use 'organic' topsoil i.e., free of any chemical additives, fertilizers, perlite, etc (not potting soil). This is available in the US (and I would assume in the UK) in most garden stores. As you also need moisture retentive capacity, I would consider mixing the soil with coco-fiber which is available as blocks that are reconstituted with water.

Davo

Reaction score
B and Qs own brand of peat free compost, made from composted bark.
I keep my marbleds and kaiseri on it and they are thriving.
I sift threw compost with my hands and break up any lumps, you sometime get a very small piece of glass or plastic, just throw that away (a small sive is probably easier)
Excellent and cheap substrate once sifted!

Martin

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1