Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hey! New in Wisconsin, USA

bazil323

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm completely new to amphibians, reptiles, etc. as well as to this site. I started seeing people post about their axolotls on Aquaria Central and thought that I should get to know these little critters. In a Google search, I found a site that had some great info and recommended this site for even more info as well as being a great site for high-quality and low--priced axolotls. So, here I am.

I don't know yet if I could support an axolotl, but the idea fascinates me. I'd been keeping several aquariums (puffer fish, tetras, kribs, plecos, and more) for more than a year, and I've been addicted. Now that I have them somewhat mastered, I keep thinking about expanding into paludariums or even terrariums. Hopefully, I can learn more about these and make a solid decision.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Bazil,

Welcome to the site!

If you are not careful, you will become quite addicted - axolotls are hard to resist ;).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1